Author Topic: Age of Retribution Part III: Shards of Eternity  (Read 36617 times)

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"Then...what shall I do the hot water?" Wondu asked looking at the pot.

While Marliea was lying on a bed, she suddenly saw Wondu holding the pot of water.

>SPLASH<

He splashed the water at her.

"Congratulations Marliea! You're now a mother!" he cheered, "Sort of."

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
"WOOOOONDUUUU!" Marliea screamed.

In the other room...

"Oh boy, he's dead..." Melvyn pondered.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"Yeah, sounds like someone's in hot water..." Tarek remarked as he passed by Melvyn to take a smoke outside.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Maybe he should throw in a towel..." Melvyn added before turning to Tarek, "Hey, you want to hold the baby?"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"Eh..." Tarek looked toward the door, then toward the baby, then toward the door, "Fine..."

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!" screamed Wondu.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
A couple days later...

Tarek had called everyone to a meeting around Pavel's wooden dinner table, a once beautiful but sadly decaying piece of furniture. Both the group's leader and his assistant had intermittently come and gone in the days after the death of Lord Stephan, but now they seemed to have everything on the outside arranged as much as they were able to arrange it.

"This is it. This is what it all comes down to." Tarek used a dagger to point at the canvas map spread across the table between them, "The old Palace Tower, the seat of the Republic. Pavel's men have already scouted the tunnels, and it looks like they were merely sealed off after the revolution. They will be our way in."

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Why do we need to go to a tower again?" Melvyn asked as he cradled the baby, "If you want a tall building, we have a couple in Westinburg that are nice... and they haven't been ruined by a revolution or anything!"

The baby made a few noises after he said this.

"See? Arlyss agrees! Westinburg it is!"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"Because controlling the Palace Tower is to control the city of Sovek. The people will rally behind us once we've taken power and deposed the senate. The key is not to alert the garrison in the Cerulean consulate until we have secured the tower." Tarek explained.
« Last Edit: Nov 01 2018, 12:55 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Melvyn paused, "...So we can't bring the baby?"

Marliea just glared at him.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"I can take care of the baby here." Pavel offered, "I won't be much good in a fight and Master Tarek knows the layout of the tower as well as I. But on the other hand, I can say I have experience in taking care of children. It's been a while since I handled a newborn..."

He glanced briefly at Tarek as he said that.

"But I look forward to the challenge again. If you'll permit me of course, ma'am."

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Marliea quickly took the baby from Melvyn and handed it to Pavel.

"Thank you." She said relieved.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you didn't trust me!" Melvyn laughed... but since he was no longer holding the baby Marliea didn't hesitate in slamming his head against the table.

Marliea nodded to Tarek, "Let's start a revolution."

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot

Dawn...

The four proceeded through down the dark alleyways and back streets as the sun was just rising on the horizon. There was a chill in the air and a fog looming over the city, making their heavy cloaks seem not out-of-place as they traversed the streets. The guards became more common as they neared the Palace Tower, but they were avoidable.

Finally they arrived in a narrow alley a couple blocks behind the tower, which had the look of a place that hadn't been used in ages. Two men, also cloaked, were waiting for them at what appeared to be sealed-off doorway in the stone wall.

"We've uncovered and restored functionality to the entrances, as requested, sire." one of the men indicated, "The rest of our people will be entering through the south entrance, as soon as the bells ring in the cathedral. We may enter sooner if you will it."

"We can wait for the bell." Tarek indicated.

For several minutes, the cloaked people stood in the lonely stone walkway, shivering in the damp cold that penetrated their clothing and chilled them to the bone. Then finally, the booming gone of the bells in the Cerulean Cathedral echoed across the cityscape, and signalling it was time to move.

The two men forced open the ancient stone door, revealing a set of stairs leading into a dark stone tunnel below. A box containing torches was sitting just inside, at the top of the stairs, having been left there by the men before so it'd be ready for use the day of the mission. After lighting enough torches for everyone, the group proceeded into the catacombs...

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"I'm Melvyn, by the way," Melvyn whispered to the two men, "I'm so excited to be here and to meet you all; and at such a pivotal point in your nation's culture!"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The two men exchanged glances, then looked back at Melvyn.

"Yes indeed, this will be the moment when we restore our glorious nation to it's former... glory! Make Veridia Great Again!" the first agreed.

"What he said." the second shrugged.

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"I assume the Republic wasn't good to your culture." Wondu stated out to the two men, "Not making any peace treaty to you or anyone else of this land."
« Last Edit: Oct 04 2018, 05:10 PM by Shawnex »

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"Well, we haven't made peace with them either." the first man scoffed, "But it is going to end today."

"Hush, we're nearly there." Tarek hissed back at them.

They had reached a small flight of stairs leading up to another secret entrance. Unfortunately, the mechanism was no longer functional, forcing the group to have to muscle it open. On the opposite side of the entrance was, of all things, the dungeon hallway.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"This is awesome!" Melvyn whispered in delight as began writing in his notebook, "My report was boring up until this point, but the ancient remains of your civilization's justice system adds so much depth!"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"Wait, who is this guy?" one of the men asked Tarek.

"I'll let you know when I figure it out." Tarek responded.

They proceeded through the dungeon, which was apparently used for storage now rather than imprisonment. The wooden door leading out was on the top of another flight of stairs, which was just wide enough for two people to ascend side-by-side. Tarek led the way to the top, but hesitated just behind the door.

"Be ready, they may have guards on the other side." he informed his followers.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Isn't that why I'm here." Marliea said stoically as she slowly drew her swords.

"Yeah, isn't that why she's here?" Melvyn agreed as he backed up.

"You're ruining the moment."

"Well, I saw it was going nowhere."

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"That's the reason why she's here." replied Wondu with a smile.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
Tarek nodded, since this was indeed the reason she was here. Wasting no time, he hurled the door open, revealing an open doorway and one surprised guard. The "oof" of a second man being hit by the swinging door indicated there hadn't been only one guard in the hall. Tarek allowed Marliea to strike first enemy, while he rounded the door itself to attack the stunned second one.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Marliea lunged toward the man, thrusting her sword into him easily... so easily in fact, that her momentum sent her crashing to the floor.

"That's the reason why she's here?" Melvyn asked as he stepped over her body and began to examine the new room.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"Guess so." Tarek shrugged, slamming the door into the face of the other guard again as he tried to stand up.

Though he remarked on several things about the tower's interior that had changed since he had left over a decade ago, Tarek was still able to navigate the layout with little trouble. The guards were mostly just Republic-loyal Veridians with basic training, instead of professional Cerulean soldiers like the ones that garrisoned the Cerulean consulate. In addition, the second group had been tasked with sealing the entrances to prevent outside interference, then cutting-off the guard barracks.

Thus, it wasn't until they finally reached the senate chamber, formerly the Imperial throne room, that they finally were presented with any level of challenge. This challenge was in the form of a unit of ten guards, two of them archers and the rest normal guards with spears and short-swords.

"Halt! You shall not breach the chambers of our sacred republic!" the lead guard shrieked with religious fervor.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"No, YOU shall not breach the chambers of your sacred republic!" Melvyn shouted back.