Author Topic: The Stone Age  (Read 1711 times)

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Jul 21 2018, 08:25 PM
The Stone Age

Genre = Dark Fantasy
Setting = Subterra Earth
RP Type = Survival/Drama/Horror
How to join = Invite Only
Participants: Cuuniyevo, Flippant, JA-394, Rattler20200, Ty294

~Index~

Part 1
The first part
(Pages 1-?)

« Last Edit: Jul 21 2018, 08:31 PM by Tyler294 »

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Jul 21 2018, 10:39 PM
May 6th, 2018...

"It all started the night of April 31st, 2018. All the news channels ran stories all day about the tremors being detected all over the world. Even where we lived, which hadn't been known to be tectonically active, was plagued by periodic rumblings in the ground throughout the day. In the evening, the quaking grew worse, and some of the stations began to report panic in certain superstitious parts of the world. Even in America, dozens of people claimed something supernatural was happening. Most people paid them no mind, at least until long after sundown.

It struck in the middle of the night, massive quakes that could be felt even deep in the continental interior. But the quakes weren't the real horror. No, it was the massive columns of stone that shot out of the planet's bowels, which spread mushroomed out across the sky and eventually enveloped the whole world in a rocky dome. One could almost taste the terror that spread across the entire world as humanity realized it had been cut off from the sun and cast into an unending night.

But if this fact was not enough, terrible stories soon began to pour out of the communities near those horrid pillars. Some claimed the great rocky structures turned humans to stone when touched, some said the animals went into ravenous frenzies and attacked anything that moved, and still others claimed that demons to have seen demons lurking the shadows around those massive structures. Whatever the case, the days that followed were utter chaos, filled with riots, suicides and mass hysteria. But though these were worst in the cities, the cities seen turned into the place where everyone flocked. Something was starting to make remote homes and isolated communities go dark, and the sky turned into the ceiling and our satellites cut-off from us, communication become very sporadic.

Pretty soon, entire towns were packing up and leaving, encouraged by mayors and business leaders that it was safer to move to larger populations centers, especially now that things such as heat and food would be at a premium. Unfortunately, because of that very problem, thousands of people have turned to--"

"Hey, Max! There's a vehicle parked alongside the road up ahead. We should check it out, see if they need a hand!" a voice interrupted the writer, as he struggled to jot down his journal draft in the dim light of the motorhome's kitchen area.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Steve. We should just drive on past." Max replied, setting down his pen and standing up.

"This isn't the time for people to just abandon one-another... But grab the baseball bat just in case." Steve stated, as the motorhome was brought to a standstill, "I've got my gun on me as well."

"Fine." Max headed for the sidedoor.

"Do be careful, boys." Steve's wife urged, "I heard awful things on the radio..."

"Hush, it'll be fine." Steve assured her.

"Uncle Max, can I read your story while you're outside?" a little girl hoped down from the upper bunk and ran over the table where Max's journal lay open.

"Uh, I think you should ask your mom on that one, kid." Max answered, picking up the wooden baseball bat propped against the wall near the door, as well as pulling a flashlight from his pocket to hold in the other hand.

"Izzy, you should go back to bed." the girl's mother scolded, as Max and Steve exited the motorhome and started walking up the road toward the vehicle parked on the side.

The car was still running, with all its lights on and the driver's side door open. But as Max and Steve came up alongside, they found nobody inside. The radio was on, but playing nothing but white noise.

"Where do you suppose they went?" Steve wondered.

"No idea..." Max trailed-off, flicking on his flashlight and shining it around the area.

It seemed like there was no sign of the drivers or where they might have gone, at least until Max thought he saw a glint of something reflecting his light. Quickly adjusting his beam, he found a few droplets of some sort of glossy liquid sitting on the road. Just a little further up was a small object, which upon further inspection appeared to be about four by five inches in surface area, with five digits extending about three inches from one end of the main hub, with the other side being coated in a reddish-black liquid substance that was still dripping into a pool on the pavement underneath.

"No..." Max gasped, realizing what it was, "Steve, get back in the vehicle! Steve--?"

Max turned around to look at his brother, only to find nobody there.

"Steve!"

Nothing.

"STEVE!!!" Max screamed, cold sweat now breaking out across his face as he started to stumble back toward the motor home.

The only sound he could hear were the sounds of the engines idling softly, and the crackling white noise of the empty car's radio. Stumbling up the steps, he threw open the side door, breathing heavily as his heart rate steadily began to elevate.

"Leanne, we need to--" he began to say, before he froze dead in his tracks.

It wasn't the silhouette of his brother's wife standing in the entryway in front of him, but a black mass that plotted out the weak bulbs within, and allowing only one feature to be discernible: a squinting pair of flaming orange eyes.

"Oh lord."

« Last Edit: Jul 23 2018, 08:56 PM by Tyler294 »

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Jul 23 2018, 08:56 PM
May 22th, 2018...

With each passing day, the situation across the world devolved further and further into chaos. Entire towns were vacated as the citizens packed up their belongings and traveled to larger cities. But freeways soon began to suffer from frequent banditry, as opportunists waylaid defenseless citizens while the law was occupied elsewhere. Those who used the back roads often vanished without a trace.

As a result, caravans of motorhomes and trailers began to assemble, mainly for the purpose of safe travel of large groups of people toward a city. Some, however, took to scavenging or banditry themselves, making making it difficult for people to trust one-another.

On the vast plains of Nebraska, one of the former types of caravans had just stopped near an ghost town for a rest. This caravan was bound for St. Louis, bypassing cities like Omaha where rumors had swelled about mass hysteria and an incredible death toll. Progress had been slow due to the need for fuel conservation and keeping the group together, but the hope was to reach the city in a few more days. For now though, the various drivers and passengers could be seen sleeping in their driver seats, or warming their dwindling supplies of processed food over makeshift fires in the encampment outside...

Offline JA-394

• Dedicated Role Player
The Stone Age
Posted Jul 25 2018, 01:22 PM

Inside one of the campers, a Caucasian man with very light brown hair (Almost silver), average build and size and dressed perhaps a bit too formally for the occasion in the form of a maroon suit sat in the driver's seat, door wide open, allowing some air to flow through the cabin as he wrote in his notebook.

"I never believed in magic... I was a lifeless man. And then I met you. The world opened up to me. I never thought it could happen. You were the elder sister of my best friend. But when we laid eyes on each-other we knew."

"Oh how I remember our time together. When you took my hand in marriage, it was the happiest day of my life. What I would give to have that time back... To have you back, Amanda."

"It wasn't meant to be. You were taken from me so quickly. I-"

A teardrop fell on the word, smearing it. Try as he might, he just couldn't continue and broke out, closing the notebook.

"Damn it..." Pegasus Atem uttered softly as he began to cry.

« Last Edit: Jul 25 2018, 01:42 PM by JA-394 »

Offline Cuuniyevo

• Redshirt
The Stone Age
Posted Jul 25 2018, 11:52 PM
Across the campsite, Alan Massi rested on top of a small berm, tiredly scanning for any speck of light or movement in the darkness. He was armed with an old hunting rifle but had little confidence it would be of any use out here on the road. He had never been a good shot, for one thing, and hadn't been able to find a night scope or pair of goggles yet. Blind and alone in the dirt with a growling stomach was far from ideal, but he was grateful to have a decent group at his back now. Looting an empty building was one thing, but he couldn't stomach the thought of fighting other people over scraps. It might come to that, he knew, but wasn't looking forward to that day.

The sounds out here are so weird. How am I supposed to tell the difference between a normal animal call and one of those creatures people keep whispering about? He sighed quietly. I miss my library. I could have navigated those shelves blindfolded, and every sound was identifiable.

Offline Flippant

• Redshirt
The Stone Age
Posted Jul 28 2018, 03:59 PM
Christopher Graves was content. he lay on his back on the roof of his SUV; fingers meshed together, forming a cradle for his head. All around him the camp moved sluggishly, as if in a stupor. Haunted, almost shellshocked expressions abounded. the reality of this world was slowly sinking in.

The reality Graves had embraced.
 The old world had given him nothing but pain; he did not mourn it's passing. Though he felt for the people who had lost their homes and loved ones, their way of life.

But something... or someone had hit the reset button. It was a new world. A new life.
He had been given a second chance; and this time, he would make something of himself.

He shifted on the cool metal of the car roof. The sound of weeping in the distance making it's way towards where he was lying.
Chances were, this would end with him starving alone; killed by bandits, or perhaps turned to stone by the horrors lurking in the dark.
The future was in shadows. There was no telling what was ahead.

He looked up, into the void above his head.
But it can't be worse than what's behind me

« Last Edit: Jul 29 2018, 07:39 PM by Flippant »

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 01 2018, 06:39 AM
Russell Holmes had spent way too much time in this truck. Sure, he’d only been driving a couple days, but because he couldn’t see far enough to enjoy the countryside, couldn’t find a work radio station to entertain himself with, and worst of all, didn’t have anyone to ride with him and keep him company, it made it seem like he’d been in the vehicle for years. The one thing that kept him alert was the supposed danger that lurked in the shadows, though he’d yet to see anything himself. Earlier in the trek, before the column he was driving with merged with with another to form this larger caravan that existed now, he had driven by what he thought were human remains. But there had been no time to really examine it before they were already past.

It was probably for the better; Russell might have lingered too long in morbid curiosity if he were allowed to. All this dark magic and fearful paranoia was oddly… exciting to him. He had always been fascinated with folklore and the occult. Monsters, aliens, demons, the illuminati, it all was far too interesting to him. Now the whole world had been consumed by these sorts of things, which left him both terrified and inexplicably enthusiastic about life going forward.

But first thing was first, he needed to make sure his family was resettled. His mom and sisters had gone ahead of him, and were probably already in St. Louis, God willing. He had stayed behind to help his aunt, and as a result wound up in this group rather than the one he should have been with. His aunt was somewhere in the crowd of vehicles, but he had lost track of her by now. She was fine though, in a caravan this big, everyone was pretty safe. So Russell figured he might as well enjoy the pit stop and stretch his legs, after making sure his truck and topper were locked of course. You just can’t trust people, even in a situation like this… especially in a situation like this.

So now, with his lever-action rifle slung over his back, Russell was walking through the encampment, an LED lantern in hand as he passed by campfires, motorhomes, and a variety of smaller vehicles. He wanted to get to outer edge of the caravan, so he could gaze out into the black void away from the the friendly illumination of headlights and camp fires. And he did indeed reach it at long-last, coincidentally coming near another man with a rifle perched nearby. Russell didn’t address him at first, choosing instead to take his time as he his eyes stared into the blackness. After a few minutes though, he spoke loud enough for the other person to hear.

"Quite a sight, wouldn’t you say? You gaze deep enough into the nothingness and your mind starts filling in the scene for you. Funny how that works, huh? Heh, God knows what’s really out there."

Offline Cuuniyevo

• Redshirt
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 03 2018, 02:30 AM

With the benefit of Russel's lantern, Alan peered around, trying to get a better read on his immediate surroundings. In addition to the wilted grass and weeds that were getting all-too familiar recently, the light caught various flying insects and the eyes of a passing mouse.

No coyotes creeping up on me tonight. Not yet anyway.

"Unfortunately true," Alan replied after considering for a moment. "It's hard to say which is more disquieting: Knowing there's something in front of you and not knowing what it is, or thinking there isn't anything in front of you but knowing you might be wrong."

I saw a glow to the north a while back but it's faded now. Might have been another caravan's headlights, or it might have been a small fire. Should I even mention it? It must have been over 30 miles away. I'd hate to be the boy who cried wolf. I technically haven't been with them a full week yet and haven't even learned all their names. Wait…

He squinted back over his shoulder suddenly.

"Sorry, I'm not very good with just voices and you're kind of back-lit at the moment; are you… Phil?"

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 03 2018, 06:24 AM
"Russell. I don't think we've met before." came the response, "I was with the group that joined up in Wyoming."

Offline Cuuniyevo

• Redshirt
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 04 2018, 09:25 PM
"Ah, sorry. Alan Massi. Li… ex-librarian." He held out his hand. "I'm from Colorado. Started running after I saw that stone column forming in the distance. The roads were a nightmare the first week, so I took the long way 'round. Bumped into this group back near Ogallala at that truck stop."

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 07 2018, 02:28 PM
"You've been driving quite a while if you've been driving since the first week, holy shit." Russell remarked, "I only left home a couple days ago."

He stirred a little upon realizing what the other man had just said.

"Wait, you saw one of them? You saw a pillar? What was it like?" he asked in rapid succession, excitement creeping into his voice.

« Last Edit: Aug 08 2018, 11:00 AM by Tyler294 »

Offline Cuuniyevo

• Redshirt
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 09 2018, 12:15 PM
Alan curled his legs up against his chest, holding the rifle tighter. "The night it started was just after a full moon. Clear, nearly cloudless night. The earthquakes had just knocked out power in town so I went outside to enjoy the view. Hardly ever seen that many stars, because of the light pollution. …Don't know whether we'll ever see them again now."

"Anyway, another earthquake hit, biggest one all day. Didn't see it at first—must have been 50 miles away or more—but I noticed a shadow creeping up the valley. I've seen plenty of cloud shadows at night, but this was wrong. It was too uniform, like a long ribbon being drawn across. Above, the stars were going dark. A strip of them, from the ground up. Impossibly high and narrow. I ran inside and started throwing things in my car to leave. By the time I drove out of the garage, the shadow had started spreading out, covering the moon. The moon's glow around the edges clearly defined it in that moment. It felt like the world was upside down in a glass ball, a crack opening up and pouring thick oil down onto the glass. I had never had vertigo before, but I imagine that's what it was. I almost drove into the ditch and threw up."

He rubbed his face, hard, as if trying to push aside the memory.

"It feels like ages, but I wasn't actually on the move the whole time. At first, I was just heading to meet up with my cousin in Fort Collins, but when I finally got there past the traffic jams it was too late. Everything was falling apart. People were starting to loot. My cousin wasn't even there. I hunkered down at their place to wait for them but they didn't come. After the food ran out, I sneaked out of the city and began heading this way."

He paused again, momentarily lost in thought. "One thing led to another and my car got wrecked. I don't know exactly how many days it's been since then. It's hard to keep track without a watch, and my phone battery died after the car wasn't charging it anymore."

"…what's your story?"

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 09 2018, 01:54 PM
Russell listened intently, eagerly taking in the whole recounting of events. It was fascinating to try and visualize what it must have looked like to watch one of the pillars go up. Of course, based on the rumors, it probably wouldn't not have ended so well for him had he been close enough to see one.

"Wasn't quite such a dramatic story for me, I'm afraid. The quakes were keeping us all up, but after the big one, things quieted down a bit. So we all went to bed... woke up the next morning to find there was no morning. Dad decided to go to his workshop that day... but... he never came back. We went looking for him, but we found shop left wide open and the place... I don't know, almost ransacked I guess. We never saw him again after that." Russell explained.

That was the toughest part. If not for his missing father, this whole thing would almost be fun. Well, it was kind of fun, but there was always that lingering depression that came with missing a family member.

"We stayed put in our house for a couple weeks after that, actually. A lot of people left town right away, but some of us wanted to stay put and fortify the place instead. Not to mention my family and I were hoping dad would come turn up somewhere... But there were all sorts of animal attacks and most of the local livestock got destroyed. The people who took charge finally just made us all pack up and get out of dodge."

He paced a little back and forth as he spoke.

"Mom and my sisters left with an earlier group. I had to help my aunt get ready, so I wound up missing their departure. They're probably in St. Louis by now." he shrugged, "Since I was already late, I made sure to grab everything I could of value before the last call went out."

« Last Edit: Aug 09 2018, 01:59 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline Cuuniyevo

• Redshirt
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 10 2018, 09:15 PM
"Sorry to hear that. I hope you find them. It's good that you stayed with your aunt though. Shouldn't be alone these days."

Alan slumped even further into the dirt. It was obvious that he was thinking about his own family, but wasn't ready to say more.

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 15 2018, 04:51 PM
"Are you still traveling alone?" Russell asked, noticing the man's further change of posture.

Offline Cuuniyevo

• Redshirt
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 15 2018, 09:29 PM
"As far as people I knew from before, yeah."

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 16 2018, 06:10 AM
"But like, are you still driving alone? Obviously none of us are traveling alone..."

Offline Cuuniyevo

• Redshirt
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 16 2018, 08:56 PM
"I've been bunking in the cab of the Sutters' pickup. They're nice enough, but the camper walls are a bit thin and watching the perimeter gives me something to focus on after hours."

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 17 2018, 11:22 AM
"Ah, okay." Russell nodded, looking back out into the void for a moment, the emptiness reminding him of a certain fact, "Hmph, I'm hungry."

He looked over at Alan again, wondering if he shouldn't just leave the guy here, or...

"You eaten anything recently? I have a little stash in my truck..."

Offline Cuuniyevo

• Redshirt
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 17 2018, 01:51 PM
Alan sat up at the mention of food. "Well I wouldn't want to impose but I also wouldn't turn it down. You sure?"

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Aug 18 2018, 08:13 PM
"So long as you don't breath a word of it to anyone else." Russell stated in a mock-menacing tone, "Wouldn't want to suddenly get swarmed by people wanting my food, now would we?"

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
The Stone Age
Posted Sep 07 2018, 10:34 AM
A couple minutes later...

As the two weaved their way through the cars, trucks, trailers and motorhomes, Russell abruptly came to a halt after passing by one vehicle where the driver was sitting idly with the door open.

"Wait a sec..."

He turned around, motioning for Alan to hold on a second, before he backtracked to the person he'd seen a moment ago.

"Gus? Hey, Gus!" he suddenly exclaimed, realizing he had been right about the individual seeming familiar.

He came up to the open door of the vehicle and stopped, eyeing Pegasus with an expression that seemed to rapidly shift between joyful excitement and accusatory anger.