Author Topic: Age of Retribution Part IV: The Gauntlet of Izabran  (Read 24618 times)

Offline Tyler294

• Global Moderator
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"And how are we supposed to make any money with a ship smaller than this one!? Have you even seen the CARGO CAPACITY ON ONE OF THOSE PUNY SCHOONERS!?" Jeff retorted, now nearly horizontal as he leaned back to try and haul on the ropes.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
"Oh, so you think we're making money with this one?" Finnbarr laughed hysterically, "Have you seen the books lately!"

Offline Tyler294

• Global Moderator
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"Of course not! We sold the library to that charlatan in Eastport in exchange for those reading lessons!" Jeff screamed, as he finally began gaining ground with his rope, "That scoundrel ripped me off! I STILL CAN'T READ!"

"How would you know if you don't have any books anymore?" Molly inquired.

"..."

"..."

"MISTER FINNBARR, WHY WOULD I TAKE READING LESSONS IF WE WERE GOING TO SELL ALL THE BOOKS!?!!?"
« Last Edit: Jan 07 2021, 02:40 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Wait a minute, you sold the books?!" Finnbarr screamed. "Those weren't reading books! That was where I hid all the jewels we stole from that Cerulean Lord!"

Offline Tyler294

• Global Moderator
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"WHAAAAAAATTTTTTT!!?!!?" Jeff suddenly wrenched on the rope so hard that sale finally came down and caused him to fall on his back.

While down on the deck, he happened to look up, to see the entire crew standing just atop the stairwell, unhelpfully watching him and Finnbarr work.

"Mister Finnbarr," Jeff began in a much calmer voice, "kindly remind me what the purpose of a crew is again?"
« Last Edit: Jan 07 2021, 02:52 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Hold on, let me check the roster," Finnbarr said formally as he let go of his rope and removed a small book from his pocket. The starboard side of the sail went crashing downwards while Finnbarr began to read from the water drenched book, "My goodness, you're right Jeff, something is wrong! Mr. Deve, you're supposed to be in the crows nest!"

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"AYE!" replied Deve as he rushed towards the crows nest, "Me thought it was a sunny day!"

Offline Tyler294

• Global Moderator
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"It was!" Molly replied, "But we've been sailing toward a stormfront all day."

"Shut yar yapping and steer the boat, woman!" Jeff snapped, "Keep her straight and steady!"

"Aye, sir!"

"The rest of ya lazy, good-fer-nothing ne'er-do-wells, get to your stations!" Jeff then turned to crew, "NOW!!!"

"Hoy, captain!" Molly interrupted.

"WHAT!?"

"Remember ya said to keep her straight and steady?" Molly asked, pointing ahead.

"Aye?!" Jeff turned to see what Molly was pointing at.

Ahead of them loomed a massive shadow, like a huge tower jutting out of the see directly in their path, and getting close very rapidly.

"HARD TO STARBOARD!!!" Jeff shrieked.

Molly threw the helm all the way to the right, yet this had little effect, as the ship's sails were down and the momentum of the waves were carrying her straight toward the mass.

"We're gonna crash!" Killroy exclaimed.

"WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!" Gideon screamed, before running back below deck.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Melvyn looked down at his compass, then back up at Gideon, "Wrong again Mr. Gideon. That comes much later!"

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"DROP ACHOR!!!" Broose shouted as he hurried to pull the lever.

Offline Tyler294

• Global Moderator
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"Nay, wait, ya'll wreck the---!" Jeff protested.

Broose managed to pull the lever and drop the anchor, which promptly caught on a rock and caused the entire ship to jerk hard to the left, throwing the whole crew off their feet.

Then there was a massive crack of wood and steel, and suddenly entire anchor pulley tore right out of the ship and fell into the sea.

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"Uh...Oops!..." Broose said meekly.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Why do we even have that lever!" Finnbarr sighed.

Luetenberger then suddenly appeared on deck, and gazed out at the sight before him, "Cap'm Jeff? I think it's raining!"

Offline Tyler294

• Global Moderator
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"Oh, why thank ya for that bit of information, Mister Luetenberger... at least SOMEONE IS COMMUNICATING THE SITUATION TO ME!" Jeff bellowed.

"Brace for impact!" Molly suddenly shouted, turning hard on the helm again as the ship rapidly approached the dark mass ahead of them.

Despite the damage it had caused, Broose's efforts with the anchor had actually slowed the ship enough to prevent the impact from occurring at full speed. Nonetheless, the crew were suddenly jolted from their feet once again, as the ship was hurled upon the rocks...

Dawn...

The night was long and harsh, as the ship was battered against the steep stone cliffs again and again, and the rain and winds threatened to throw unwary crewmen overboard. Yet, the storm slowly subsided, and those on deck eventually collapsed in exhaustion and most eventually fell asleep.

When the sun finally rose, it began the dry the cold, wet sailors on the deck, and at last the rain and fog were gone so that the surroundings could be seen. Jeff stood up from a pile of rigging rope he had lied down on, noticing first and foremost that he was not dead. The second thing he noticed was the ship was not swaying in the ocean waves, but was deathly still.

"What in the blue hell?" he furrowed his brows, before rushing to the railing and looking down, "By thunder! WHO DROVE MY SHIP UP A MOUNTAIN!?!"

Indeed, the vessel was resting on a rocky ledge a few dozen feet above sea level, and was not touching the water in any way. On one side of the ledge, a sheer cliff of black stone rose high above them, and the ship was partially propped against it.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Drat!" Finnbarr said as he stood up and observed the scene, "This is what happens when you loose the anchor!"

Offline Tyler294

• Global Moderator
  • Epic Role Player
  • Ty Fighter Pilot
"We're not dead though. That be good, right?" Killroy suggested.

"Aye, but we're stranded on some blasted island in the middle of nowhere, with a damaged ship and no sign of civilization from which to get repairs!" Jeff growled.

"Ahoy, cap'n!" Molly called down from the helm.

"WHAT!?"

Molly responded by simply pointing up.

Jeff turned around and looked up the cliff, and up, and up, and nearly fell on his back again when he realized what was there. Towering over them, built into and on top of the unnaturally smooth rocky cliffs, was a towering fortress of dark stone. It's lowest ramparts were nearly a hundred feet above them, and what appeared to be a central tower rose even higher than that.

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
Prince Carder waked up out of the hatch below deck and looked all around to sailors lying down and a huge rock cliff.

"What is all this?" he asked, "First I came aboard on this, surrounded by silly sailors, having a rough ride falling backwards and forwards, now we crashed in front of cliff?!?"