Author Topic: Age of Retribution Part IV: The Gauntlet of Izabran  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
This left Captain Jeff all alone in the doorway.

"If I didn't need an entire crew, I'd just leave ya all here." he grumbled to the thin air in front of him.

With that, he went to find a table to set up a recruitment roster.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
"Are these your friends?" The woman asked as she looked at Deve and Broose on the ground, only a few feet from her. "You should introduce us!"

"No."

"Hi fellas!" She said as she approached the men on the floor, "My name's Arlyss! I'm Eamon's sister."

The lone man remained seated... alone.

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
Both grounded pirates looked up to the woman she introduced to them.

"Oh! Good goldfish!" Broose startled and got off of Deve and took his hat off to his chest, but had his one foot on Deve's stomach, "Pleasures all yours ma'am! I'm Broose."

"Broose! Your still on me!" Deve gasped trying to get Broose's attention.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Meanwhile, Jeff grabbed a table, rolled out a scroll to serve as his crew roster, then put a jar of ink and a quill pen beside it.

"Ahem, anyone interested in joining the crew of the Flying Mollusk, please sign up here!" he declared to the room.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Oh please..." Eamon sighed as he rolled his eyes.

"Hi Broose!" Arlyss said as she grabbed his hand and shook it excitedly. She then turned to the man on the floor. "And you are?"

The lone figure at the other side of the room still remained seated... alone. A long overcoat was draped over his shoulder, while a cap was tilted slightly downward toward his face. He took a swig of the drink in front of him, though still seeming to be indifferent to the situation around him...

"Forget this! I'll be sitting here all day!"

Oh... never mind. The lone figure stood up and approached the table where Jeff was seated.

"You said this was the Flying Mollusk?" he asked.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
"Aye, that it is. She's the fine ship ya'll see anchored off-shore just outside. Ya have some sailin' experience, friend?" Jeff tried to be the best sailsman he could be.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
The man stopped and thought for a moment.

"Nope!" He finally replied.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Jeff held a cheesy, very forced smile on his face for several awkward, silent seconds, before he finally spoke again.

"No problem, we offer on-the-job training! Just sign your name here!" he pointed to the roster.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Really? That's nice; the last ship I worked on required at least two years experience!" The man said as he signed his name.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
"Heh heh, not to worry." Jeff nervously responded, "Most of my crew don't act like they have any experience anyway..."

As he said that, he leaned over the roster to glance at the name written on it.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Before he had a chance to look the man extended his hand, "The name's Vyn. Expert of whatever you need an expert of!"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
"Oh good... do ya think ya could be an expert at finding me more crewmen?"

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"In-need of...help!" Deve struggled trying to get Broose's foot off of him.

"Oh that's Deve." Broose introduced to Arlyss not caring about Deve. Even when Deve was still trying to his foot off, "Don't worry about him. He's fine."

"AY! What gives?!" Deve snorted and was ticked from Broose response.

He pulled out his sword and poked Broose at the butt.

"YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Broose screamed as he jumped up into the ceiling and fell back down on Deve again with his whole body and made his eyes grow big and tongue stick out.

">GASP!< CAN'T-BREATH-AGAIN!" Deve gasped for air and poked Broose again.

"YEAAOW!" Broose jumped forward and crashed on Eamon onto the counter.

"Finally! Me can breath!" Deve said in relief and got up slowly to face Arlyss, "No need for him to say no more! Deve is me name."

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"It's a pleasure to meet you." Arlyss smiled at Deve

"NO IT IS NOT!" Eamon grunted as he pushed Broose back towards Deve. He brushed himself off then looked back to Arlyss, "What are you doing here? Does Dad know you're this far south?"

"Of course he does! Probably... I'm sure... I guess I don't know." She thought.

"You're avoiding the question."

"I'm avoiding one of your questions! I did answer the other one."

"You're too much like dad..." Eamon sighed.

"Why would you need more crewmen? I'm all you need!" Vyn smiled as he patted the captain on the shoulder and walked towards the bar.

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"Well at least we know that you're both sibling of each other." replied Broose who laid on Deve again.

"BROOSE?!" Deve snapped at Broose's ear, "I thought you told me of crashing or laying on you! But look at you! YOU'RE SQUESSHING ME!"

"So? What else is new?" Broose chuckled.

"I hate you." Deve frowned trying to get his sword again, but no luck this time.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Jeff was left alone at his table again.

"..."

"..."

"Why do I always get the idiots?" he muttered, before sitting back down.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Hi Dad!" Arlyss waved to the approaching man. Eamon looked up and sighed.

"Hey kids! I knew I'd find you here!" Vyn winked.

"See?" Arlyss nudged her brother, "I told you he knew where I was!"

"Oh, before I forget, I gotta do some recruiting!" Vyn smiled as he put his hands in his pockets... the right in the left and the left in the right. "Arlyss, go sign up for the crew."

"What? No!" Eamon said as he finally faced his father, "Why on earth would you let your daughter join a pirate crew?!"

"She's going to join anyway, so I might as well remain the good guy!"

"Love you Dad!" Arlyss said as she approached the table Jeff was at.

"Might as well hire the whole family!" She said as she immediately signed her name, "Well, not the whole family... I haven't even met most of them!"

« Last Edit: Nov 16 2018, 06:26 PM by DeadJim »

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
"..."

Jeff watched Arlyss sign her name, recalling the age-old adage that it is bad luck to have a woman onboard your pirate ship. Then he recalled the fact that he did not have a woman on board when he lost his haul of fish to the Lances.

Nor did he have a woman onboard when a traitorous passenger stole his father's priceless heirloom, cut the sails ropes during the night, then paddled away on the ship's best lifeboat to complete his escape.

Nor did he have a woman onboard when his ship ran aground on that one island with all the creepy, smiling spearmen, during which time he lost half his crew to the locals, a quarter to jungle predators, an eighth to malnutrition, and a sixteenth to bad map-reading.

Nor did he have a woman onboard when he accidentally sank that Cerulean treasure ship that happened to be carrying the king's prized art collection that was being moved from display in The Royal City to the king's private retreat in Ultramarina, making him the most wanted man in the entire Kingdom of Cerulea.

Nor did he have a woman onboard when his late first mate insulted the admiral of the Veridian Navy, prompting the entire Imperial Fleet to chase him to Corsai and back.

Nor did he have a woman onboard when he bought the ship in the first place, only after which did he realize the financing was way more than he could afford and he'd have to turn to dishonest means to actually be able to pay this ship off, something it had taken him nearly thirty years of transporting, privateering, pirating, smuggling, swashbuckling, and fishing to actually accomplish.

"Miss..." he spoke-up, outstretching both his hands to shake hers, a tear forming in his eye, "Thank you. Thank you so very much."

« Last Edit: Nov 12 2018, 03:29 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"OH! I just remembered!" Broose realized and got up to his feet, "I was here for a drink! Bartender! Give me another bottle of rum!"

Deve groaned while slowly getting up with his now broken back. The cracking bones sounded aloud till he got up and adjusted himself to his normal shape.

"That's it!" he growed quietly, "You have squished me for the last time!"

He drew out his sword and slashed Broose's second bottle in half. Broose turned his slowly at Deve with an annoyed angry look.

"WHY YOU LITTLE JERK!" he roared and drew his sword back at Deve, "ON GAURD!"

The two crazy-pirates fought at an empty spot in the tavern which made nearly everyone got their attention toward them. The fight took one minute till Broose punched Deve to the table and made it flip halfway up, then slammed back down. Only one halfling was at the table enjoying his drink and not caring of the fight till Deve crashed in. Then the halfling looked at him and to Broose.

"Can't you fight somewhere else you bloody idoits!" he snapped at them before he noticed their faces, "Wha-? Deve? Broose?! Why bust my fingernails! It's been two long since we've last seen each other.
Where've you been?"

"Tucker?" Deve looked at the semi-over weighted halfling with half sideburns, "It is you Tucker!"

Broose looked at the crowd and drew in his sword since he doesn't want more attention to them.

"Carry on what you're doing!" he spoke out, "Fight's done! Sorry about that Tucker. Didn't realize you were here. Or...are here. Right now. What's up?"

"Ah ya know, enjoying my drink is what's up." answered Tucker, "As well as cleaning rubbish on streets, loading cargo to ships, and always, always ran into fights. Like from you guys for instance."

"Oh that?!" Broose looked at Deve with the mess near the table, "It's-just an accident that's all!"

"You started it." mumbled Deve and got up.

"Well no matter." added Tucker, "It always happens in my life. So, what's up with you two besides fighting?"

"Well you see," began Broose, "our captain is hiring some crewman. While we are here to have a drink. Right Deve?"

"What? Oh yes! Yes. That's right." startled Deve, "That is, if you're up for sailing. Are ye?"

"Ya mean that captain?" Tucker pointed toward Jeff with Arlyss.

"Yes that's him." replied Deve.

"Well my life here was and still is same old boring...stuff." said Tucker after he got off his chair, "Since I've been meaning to get away from cleaning rubbish all the time, so why not have me join in?"

"Yeah, you need a break alright." agreed Broose after he noticed how Tucker smelled like rubbish.

"Glad you agree. Now I'll just walk over there and sign. Oh and by the way...YOU TWO STAY OUT OF FIGHTING!"

Broose and Deve looked at each other with puzzled looks.

« Last Edit: Nov 12 2018, 07:57 PM by Shawnex »

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"No problem! ...I think." Arylss said as she took Jeff's hands and shook them.

"Who was that?" Eamon asked as he watched the halfling walk away.

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
"That's Tucker." replied Broose after he and Deve walked up to the counter, "We first met him fifteen years ago where we used to load cargo to ships with him."

"And that was before we were hired to go sailing with Captain Jeff few years later." added Deve.

Just after Arylss shook Jeff's hands, Tucker walked up to the table they were at for crew hiring.

"Ya looking for some crewmembers?" he spoke.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
"Aye! Sign right here, mate." Jeff quickly shook himself back into reality, "Welcome to the crew!"

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"Hey, Jeff..." Finnbarr whispered as he came behind the captain, "Ya think we could maybe... leave soon? I seemed to have bet a little too much on the last game... and they're expecting me to pay them."

"...Isn't that how betting works?" Arlyss asked as she put her hands on her hips.

"Wha... no! Of course it's not!" Finnbarr scoffed as he turned back to Jeff and whispered quiter, "She's probably one of them! We need to leave!"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
"I've only hired three crewmen, Finnbarr." Jeff responded, "Ya wanna try sailing all the way to Hanichu with a crew of only twelve?"

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
"We can hire some more in Hanichu!"

"Have you tried false advertising? That's an effective way to recruit!" Arlyss suggested.

"Old friends are the best friends," Vyn said as he put one arm around Deve, and the other around Broose. "Unless your new friends are the best, then your old friends are just old. But if your new friends are older than your old friends, then they aren't necessarily better than the old ones. Unless your old friends abandon you for your new friends; then you just need to forget the whole friend thing all together."