Author Topic: Crossroads  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 19 2018, 07:05 AM





Genre = Fantasy
Setting = Crossroads Universe
RP Type = Action/Comedy/Drama/Horror (basically everything)
How to join = Invite Only
Participants: Dead Jim, JA-394, Rattler, Tyler294





~Index~


Part 1
The first part
(Pages 1-?)



Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 19 2018, 01:44 PM
City of Arcus Tuar…

Dusk...

The bright white disk of the sun was half-way down the horizon, and the city was already winding-down from another bustling day. Merchants were closing up shop, smiths were dousing their forges and the bakers had already gone home hours ago. Most honest folk were on their way home, the streets soon to give way to the less-than-reputable sorts that roamed at night.

"See, I told you the road signs were right. We made it just in time." the young man stated in satisfaction, gesturing at the city before him.

There was no response, for it appeared he had been talking to nothing but the thin air to his right.

"You really think all the inns will be booked up?" the lad's smile dropped from his face.

He quickly glanced around, finding an inn just a short ways ahead, with a tavern in the lower level but two stories of rooms above that. It wasn't the prettiest looking structure, but it would suffice. It was probably reasonably affordable too.

"Well, let's give it a try." Karl Saxon shrugged, heading over to the building and pushing the door open.

The blond-haired, blue-eyed, peasant-clothed teenager found himself in a cheery, if not somewhat smoking setting. A massive fireplace was roaring off to one side, while a band of mistrals was playing a lively tune in another corner. The place was packed, with virtually every table filled with people from all walks of life. Though, the people seated directly at the bar, where the innkeeper was posted, looked like some rather rough customers.

"Oh boy..."

« Last Edit: Jan 24 2019, 08:24 AM by Tyler294 »

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 19 2018, 02:58 PM

By past the city was the provincial capital of the region. The streets were deserted of both honest and dishonest folk by virtue of a strict curfew put in place by the soldiers of the Empire of Mozack.


While the Emperor held court far away in Mozack City to be kept apprised of matters, he was not a particularly militant man. Born and raised to ascend to the throne, he had been nourished by luxury all of his life while the well-paid mercenaries of his father took control. He had no idea how to lead an army, or of the necessities war planning requires.


Which brings us back to the provincial capital. Far away from his gaze, and a decent spot away from his territory, two particular Lords - and their squire - had been taking great liberties over his orders.


The Empire was multicultural. The Empire, unlike many nations that preceded it, was tolerant. Lord Kras, effectively known as the 'Puppetmaster', was not. And neither was his right hand, Lord Fe.


***


"Get these prisoners out of the carts! Move it!" ordered the Imperial Captain in control of the caravan.


The Imperial soldiers rode their horses, several toting carts with a man or two inside.


They had stopped in town square, the beating heart of the provincial capital.


Waiting for them was a simple block of wood.


The Imperial next to it, however, the men in the carts had much reason to fear.


He was the headsman.


Folks stared out the windows of their lodges and homes in disbelief as one by one, the former governor, his wife, his aging parents, and his 11-year old son were thrown into a line before the block.


A carriage pulled up a moment later, and out stepped a man in stark contrast to the dark steel suits of the soldiers around him. He was wearing iron, and he did not have a helmet.


This was the Squire - the personal servant of Lords Kras and Fe. He was little more than a yes-man after years of belittling, beatings, and torture to force him into line. No one knew his true name, and no one was brave enough to seek out Lord Fe to ask.


"Step to the block when I call your name," the Squire said in a monotone, dispassionate voice, pulling a parchment from his pouch.


"Iston Vanbrick."


The disgraced former governor proudly stepped up to the block and lay himself down.


"What say yourself, Iston? You are charged with treason," said the Squire.


Iston merely closed his eyes and accepted his fate.


"Very well. Headsman?"


The headsman stepped up, looked down at Iston with contempt, and took a mighty swing, separating head from body.


The now deceased Iston Vanbrick's foot twitched a few times before he was kicked off the block, revealing the pool of blood and his head laying on the street.


His wife put her hands over her mouth and fell to her knees, sobbing.


Their son just stared at their father's corpse, not sure if this was a dream, a horrible nightmare, or reality.


"Honey, tell me. Did they do it? Did they actually do it?" his father, who was blind, attempted to grab his wife's hand.


"They did it," she said in between gags.


The Imperial soldiers seemed unmoved.


"Leanna Vanbrick."


"MAMA!"


Leanna could not muster the strength to stand, so two Imperials did it for her, dragging her over to the block and throwing her down.


"And what do you say?" asked the Squire.


"I hope you all die a miserable, slow, agonizing -"


"Headsman?"


Leanna was then sent to join her husband in eternity.


At this point, the child began vomiting and did not hear when the Squire called the name "Stu."


"Stu is not present?" the Squire said again, though he knew full well who he was.


He looked over each of the three remaining family members.


"I'll assume one of you is lying to me. Kill them all."



Stu was shot in the head by an archer immediately, and the two grandparents were run through while holding hands by a pair of knights.


***


Meanwhile at the bar, a man wearing farmer's attire walked in followed by a lady who was also wearing farmer's attire. The first had brown hair with a scrappy beard and goatee and glazed brown eyes, while the second was a redhead with pigtails and bright yellow eyes.


The guy also looked much older than she did.


"I don't know nothing about technology, I'm just a simple farmer!" he said to her in a droning voice as the two of them approached the bar, seeming to be regulars.


"That's why I'm here," said the redhead in a young, vibrant tone.

« Last Edit: Dec 19 2018, 03:20 PM by JA-394 »

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 19 2018, 03:28 PM
"What?" Karl looked to his right, "No, I'm not going to go up and ask her what a technology is."

He paused and thought about that a moment.

"Uh, hey miss, what's a technology?" he abruptly changed his mind and approached the redheaded woman.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 23 2018, 05:15 PM
"A technology is the way of the future. It's what our great grandkids are gonna be doin'!" the redhead said excitedly.

"Does it look like a farm?" the farmer next to her asked pointedly.

"What do I look like, some kind of science person?"

"Well I don't know, I'm just a simple farmer!"



"My name is Nora, by the way, I don't think we've been introduced," the redhead said to Karl.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 23 2018, 06:23 PM
Karl smiled and looked like he was about to respond, only to glance to his side as though someone there was talking to him, and prompting him to give a "just a minute" motion to the thin air.

"Sorry... uh... Karl... my name is Karl. Nice to meet you Nora." he clumsily introduced himself, "I'm new in this town, just got here today."

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 23 2018, 06:31 PM
The simple farmer swayed over to glance at the thin air next to Karl.

"What was ya hushing?"

"Quiet, Vance. He's got an imaginary friend," Nora shooshed him.

"An imagery who-what? There ain't nobody there!" Vance exclaimed.

Nora facepalmed.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 23 2018, 06:33 PM
"I don't have an imaginary friend." Karl replied indignantly, "It's my sister's ghost that only I can see."

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 23 2018, 06:36 PM
Nora didn't quite know how to respond to that.

"Ghosts are too spooky for me. Farmin' is where it's at!" Vance however latched onto (And changed) the subject immediately.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 23 2018, 06:47 PM
"My grandparents are farmers." Karl noted, "It's a good living, I guess, but not very exciting."

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 23 2018, 06:51 PM
"Not very excite-wha…"

Karl could almost see the cogs slowly turning in Vance's head.

"But you get to live on a farm, run a farm, own a... a farm..."

"It's real fun. Trust me," Nora pulled the most fictitious look she could muster.

"Yeah! That's more - wait, you're lying to me! You..."

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 23 2018, 07:14 PM
"I wouldn't know, I only ever got to work on a farm. Not a lot of interesting conversation partners there." Karl stated glumly.

"..."

"I said "not a lot", not none at all!" Karl told the thin air to his right.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 23 2018, 08:01 PM
"He just gets sentimental about farms," Nora nodded, "It's all he has now."

"Nothing better to have!" Vance cheerfully added.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 24 2018, 07:01 AM
"Really? I always thought it was better to have friendship... at least, that's the books mom used to read me said." Karl rubbed his chin.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 24 2018, 09:06 AM
"But friends are... are hard to find when they discover you feeling down..." Vance looked at the floor.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 24 2018, 07:57 PM
"I can be your friend!" Karl responded enthusiastically, "You guys wanna be my friends?"

"..."

"Our friends?"

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 26 2018, 01:33 PM
"I reckon that'd be dandy," Vance perked up.

"That might be the most country thing I've ever heard you say," Nora, who seemed a little uneasy, said to that, then looked at Karl, "Sure."

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 27 2018, 05:55 AM
"Really?" Karl actually seemed surprised, though definitely elated, "That's wonderful!"

He reached down and checked the coin pouch on his belt, but was disappointed with what he found.

"I'd buy us all drinks or something, since I think that's what friends do... but I only have enough for room and board tonight. So... uh, does water sound good to anyone?" he asked nervously.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 29 2018, 04:38 PM
"As long as it isn't caffeinated," Nora accepted the offer.

"Now you hold it right there you. This new friend of mine and or ours is... … when buying a lady a drink, what is the first rule of buying a lady a drink, Nora?"

Nora's expression shifted into one of moderate annoyance.

"Thank the person and or object..." she muttered.

"That's a right! You thank the person and or the object of affection that is buying you the -"

"I keep telling you objects are not sentient, don't have money, and therefore can't purchase drinks..." Nora interrupted Vance's droning.

"Wha- objects are no- wha did I tell you 'bout using that there technology speak with me in front of another person?!"

Nearby patrons were starting to snicker.

"Riiiight... I've got some money on me, too. I'll buy 'simple farmer' over there an alcohol of some sort, you provide the water and we hope it gets him. Deal?" Nora reached into her pockets for a few coins as well.

"Are you tryin' to enlist my friend to help you orchestrate my suicide?" Vance pointed a finger at her.

« Last Edit: Dec 29 2018, 04:41 PM by JA-394 »

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1221
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Dec 29 2018, 07:50 PM
"Please don't do that," a young woman, probably in her late teens, whispered as she passed by while sweeping the floor. "Suicide can be so messy, and usually sweeping makes it worse..."

She had long blonde hair that was partially braided back, though the majority of it was draped over her shoulders. It appeared that there were some blue strands among the blonde, though it seemed to be natural.  "My name's Ada, by the way," she said as she extended her hand to no one in particular.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Dec 30 2018, 08:37 AM
"Another one on the ante-Vance-suicide-train!" Vance reached out and gave Ada a strong handshake, then his eyes glazed over, "What's a train... does it work on a farm?"

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Dec 30 2018, 09:00 AM
"Maybe it's like a technology?" Karl wondered, "Oh, right."

He shook Ada's hand once she had finished shaking Vance's.

"I'm Karl, nice to meet you."

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1221
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Jan 05 2019, 08:39 PM
"Nice to meet you too." Ada smiled, but then pointed back to Vance, "I don't understand him. I hope that's okay."

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Jan 08 2019, 10:47 AM
Vance looked confused.

"Wha- but understandin' is the first part of... somethin'..." he gave up midway through his sentence.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Jan 08 2019, 11:02 AM
"But, he's a simple farmer. I thought simple things were easy to understand." Karl shrugged, "Oh, by the way..."

He looked back at Vance and Nora, who seemed to have known each-other before entering the inn.

"Are you two related or something?"