Author Topic: Crossroads  (Read 962 times)

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 05 2019, 09:39 AM
June looked at the wall and rapped her knuckles against it a moment to test how solid it was.

"Remind me not to put that story to the test."

"Oh hey, there's my friends! We should go sit with them." Karl spotted Vance and Nora and headed to their table, "Good morning, guys!"

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8196
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Feb 05 2019, 02:30 PM
Evelyn just shrugged.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5906
Crossroads
Posted Feb 06 2019, 07:58 AM
"Morning," Nora greeted.

Vance just stared at his empty bottle, wondering why it wasn't full.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 06 2019, 08:45 AM
"You guys getting breakfast? I think that's what we're gonna do. Uh..." Karl looked back at June and Evelyn, "Right...?"

"I guess." June shrugged, "Are you buying, kid?"

"Erm..." Karl blinked nervously and checked his pockets, trying to find any money he had left.

He found four copper coins.

"Uh, how much you suppose this will buy?" he looked across everyone.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5906
Crossroads
Posted Feb 06 2019, 08:58 AM
"Itsh'll buy ah... A-uh... Farm-brew?" Vance slurred.

Nora had her head in her hands by now.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 06 2019, 10:31 AM
"Isn't it a little early to be drinking?" June raised an eyebrow and scowled at the simple farmer.

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1112
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Feb 07 2019, 02:54 PM
Just then Ada popped up from behind the bar, "I saw a horse outside have a drink more than an hour ago, so I think it's okay."

She then ducked back down.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 13 2019, 05:50 AM
"Ugh... whatever." June rolled her eyes.

"Oh, darn it, I forgot to make introductions!" Karl realized, "Uh, Vance, Nora, this is Evelyn and June. Everyln and June, this is Vance and Nora."

"Hi..."

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5906
Crossroads
Posted Feb 13 2019, 09:03 AM
"Hi," Nora greeted half-heartedly.

"Yoush judge me drink?" Vance looked at the completely wrong person he thought had judged him for drinking, "I have ya no I gotta three beer beltsh in..."

He was delivered yet another alcoholic beverage and forgot all about the Taken rant he was going on in favor of wolfing it down.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8196
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Feb 14 2019, 09:58 PM
Evelyn just gave a casual nod in response.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 15 2019, 06:10 AM
Breakfast wasn't the most exciting meal that morning, in fact, Karl had to take a small lone from Vance and Nora to pay for his, and June insisted the little silver she had left was reserved for buying arrows in the market later, so she had to promise to pay Evy back later.

Afterward, the two parties wound up going the same way into town, though June and Evelyn were going to stay in the market while the others moved on. So after awkward goodbyes, the first party continued deeper into town, while the second remained in the market.

"So, do you guys sell your produce at the market?" Karl asked as Nora, and the no-doubt wobbly Vance, led him out of the market area.

« Last Edit: Feb 15 2019, 08:16 AM by Tyler294 »

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5906
Crossroads
Posted Feb 15 2019, 09:26 AM
"Yeah," Nora, who was bracing Vance, replied.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 15 2019, 09:37 AM
"What do you guys farm, exactly?" Karl continued to question, though he was genuinely curious, coming from a farming background himself.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5906
Crossroads
Posted Feb 15 2019, 09:51 AM
"MEAT."

Vance pointed at a nearby meat stand.

The meat stand guy, a weird fishy-looking man, glared at Vance.

"TOUGH Meat!" he snapped.

"Easy, Farmer Fran. Vance is drunk again," Nora calmed him.

"Eh..." the fishman retreated to his stand.

"We farm wheat, seeds, chickens, cows -"

As Nora was giving Karl the rundown on boring farmlife, a starving man stole a hunk from the fishman's stand, right underneath his nose and ran for it.

"SO, YOU THINK YOU'RE TOUGH MEAT?" Farmer Fran grabbed a butcher knife and ran after him, "HA. PART OF ME WAS HOPING SOMEONE WOULD TRY AND ROB THIS STAND!"

The two quickly disappeared into the crowd.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 15 2019, 09:55 AM
Karl watched them go, already finding this town far more entertaining than his home village. Then he got back to questioning Nora about farm stuff.

"So both crops and livestock? Nice. Do you have any farmhands, or is it just you two?"

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5906
Crossroads
Posted Feb 15 2019, 10:03 AM
"Mostly just us two. There's a guy named Mason that helps, but he's ill right now."

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 15 2019, 11:05 AM
Karl was about to respond, but then he turned to his left and looked at something there, though there wasn't really anything of note in that direction.

"Why would I do that? I didn't leave home just to do the same type of boring work here!" he told the thin air.

He paused a moment, as if listening to someone responding to him.

"We've been over this. We left home because everyone there thinks I'm a crazy freak who talks to himself!"

He paused again.

"Well... yes, but that doesn't mean I should go back into farming!"

« Last Edit: Feb 15 2019, 11:23 AM by Tyler294 »

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5906
Crossroads
Posted Feb 19 2019, 09:25 AM
Nora patiently waited for Karl to finish talking to whom she thought to be his sister, that she still wasn't sure existed.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 19 2019, 09:53 AM
Karl paused and looked back at Nora for a moment.

"..."

"..."

"..."

"You wouldn't happen to need another farmhand, would you?"

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5906
Crossroads
Posted Feb 19 2019, 10:09 AM
Nora thought about it.

"We actually do. Mason has been ill for awhile and I'm not sure if -"

"Hey."

Nora turned to Vance, who was holding a baby white pig.

"I am ALPHA FARMER."

"..."

"..."

"That's albino."

"Yoush just gel-us."

"Right... anyway," Nora went back to Karl, "Mason has been ill for awhile, and with Vance's drinking problem -"

"Idonthaveaproblem YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU haveaprob-"

"Shoosh. We're basically down to just me, and him when he's not stoned."

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14212
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Feb 19 2019, 10:18 AM
"Well, I could use a job until I get on my feet here." Karl replied, "If you'll have me."

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1112
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Feb 20 2019, 05:53 AM
“Yay!” Ada cheered as she jumped out from behind one of the market stands, “I’ve always wanted to work on a farm! When do we start?”