Author Topic: Crossroads  (Read 1454 times)

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1138
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Mar 01 2019, 08:28 PM
...and by Ada, who popped into view on the other side of the window.

"Morning Karl!" Her muffled voice said as she waved, "If we hurry, we can get jobs with the fire brigade!"

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 01 2019, 09:18 PM
"How did you get up there?" Karl asked, wondering how she reached the second-story window, "Never mind! We have to warn everyone before the fire reaches the inn!"

He quickly threw on his tunic and belt and headed out into the hallway, beginning to knock on doors to wake people up. If the approaching sound of battle was not already enough to get them up, that is.

Once he reached the ground floor, he found at least a few other people were awake. A couple men were actually just on their way out the door, evidently intending to flee. Another was at the window, watching outside. In the corner, a scraggly old man was drinking and moaning.

"They didn't believe me... oh, the fools! I knew they'd come one day! I knew the dwellers in the deep would return to DOOM us all!"

"The dwellers in the deep?" Karl asked, looking at the man.

"Aye... the things that live at the bottom of the lake! I've warned people for years of their existence, but nobody listens to me! HA! Now we all will die, but it won't be my fault! HAHAHA!"

Karl was going to respond, but he then looked to his left, as though someone there was addressing him.

"You won't die, but I will!" he told the wall.

"Eh?" the old man blinked in confusion.

Karl was still looking at the wall.

"Well no, I'm not worried about burning to death... I mean, I suppose I could die of smoke inhalation..."

"Son, who are ya talking to...?" the old man questioned.

Karl turned to respond to the old geezer, but whatever invisible entity he was talking to apparently still had his attention, as he turned right back toward them.

"What? No, this man is not our father!"

"Uhhhh... and they called me senile..." the old man looked at his drink, set it on the table, then stood up and stumbled toward the door.

« Last Edit: Mar 04 2019, 08:58 AM by Tyler294 »

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 04 2019, 12:18 PM
Evelyn came down the stairs.

"What the hell is going on?" she asked as she reached the ground floor.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 04 2019, 12:40 PM
June also came down the stairs, barefoot and missing her jacket, and also looking like she literally just woke up.

"What she said!"

"The apocalypse is upon us!" the old man cried from the door, before slamming it shut behind him.

"I guess... something is invading the city from the lake?" Karl responded.

"Well, they ain't takin' my inn alive!" the Innkeeper roared from behind the counter.

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1138
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Mar 04 2019, 02:16 PM
"Don't worry, I don't think they can kill an inn!" Ada told the innkeeper as she skipped down the stairs and into the main room. "By the way, sorry about the window.

« Last Edit: Mar 04 2019, 05:33 PM by DeadJim »

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 05 2019, 06:16 AM
"WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY WINDOW, GIRL!?" the Innkeeper exploded.

"How the heck would something be invading from the lake, of all places?" June questioned.

"Oh my gods! They're coming!" one of the tavern occupants, who was watching out the window, exclaimed.

Karl rushed to window to get a look outside.

A small horde of squat humanoids were lumbering down the street, killing any stray citizens that got in their way, and setting fire to buildings as they went. The beings seemed to be some sort of grotesque fish-frog-man hybrid, with bent legs, fleshy skin, bulging eyes and large, flabby mouths. They only wore small amounts of armor over parts of their chest and arms, but were otherwise unclothed. Most were carrying weapons of simple design, some of which looked like harpoons, fish hooks, cleavers or clubs.

"I had to ask..." June sighed as she peaked out the window and saw the approaching mass.

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1138
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Mar 05 2019, 05:02 PM
"Would now be a bad time to repair the window? Or should I wait till later?" Ada asked as she joined them in looking at the fishy people.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 06 2019, 03:10 PM
"Later," Evelyn replied as she put a hand on the hilt of her sword. "Unless you enjoy being attacked with deadly weapons in your back while fixing something that will most likely be immediately broken again by your dead body."

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1138
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Mar 06 2019, 04:32 PM
"...you know that doesn't sound too bad." Ada thought, "Have you tried it?"

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 07 2019, 05:35 AM
"We don't have time for this, we need to get out of here!" June urged.

"And leave the inn to be destroyed? No, I think we should stand and fight them off, at least until everyone in the neighborhood can escape to safety." Karl suggested.

"Do you even know how to fight, kid?" June narrowed her eyes at him.

"I taught myself a few things while I was working on the farm back home." Karl offered.

June facepalmed.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 07 2019, 11:49 AM
"This isn't fending off a fox from the henhouse kid!" Evelyn snapped. "These things are not here to raid your chickens. They are here to kill people!"

She tightened her grip on the hilt of her sword.

"Those things will not hesitate to eviscerate you on the spot. This is not a game. People will die. Do you really want to join those that already have?"

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 07 2019, 01:22 PM
"Stop calling me kid! You two are not that much older than me!" Karl protested.

"Whatever, kid! We need to go..." June rushed to the door and threw it open.

To reveal a horde of about two dozen fishmen standing outside. This prompted June to promptly slam the door shut again.

"...out the back door!"

"Hate to break it to you, lass, but I don't have a back door." the innkeeper declared ominously.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 07 2019, 01:40 PM
"This keeps up you're about to," Evelyn said as she drew her sword.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 07 2019, 01:44 PM
Just then, a torch smashed through the window and landed in the middle of the room. Then another did... and so did several more.

"And this is why back doors are mandated in building codes!" June yelped, trying to stomp out one of the torches before it could set the floor on fire.

But just then, all the torches (and June's foot) were suddenly coated in a layer of ice, originating from Karl's hands. The young man looked around the room nervously, as though he had done something wrong, and expected people to disapprove of his sudden use of magic.

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1138
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Mar 07 2019, 02:15 PM
Ada popped over and started to mop up the ice.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 07 2019, 08:22 PM
"Nice save," Evelyn said as she took up a defensive position.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 08 2019, 05:47 AM
June glared Karl a moment, seeing as her foot was now stuck and very, very cold.

"Sorry, I don't have that precise of control yet." Karl sheepishly apologized.

"Eh... it's fine." June muttered tugging a few time to bust her foot free, "Can you do that around the rest of the building? Coat it in ice, I mean? They can't set it on fire then."

Karl seemed a bit surprised that nobody was calling him a freak or sorcerer-scum or something like that, but it was a pleasant form of surprise. However, the request felt a little beyond him.

"If it were colder out, I could probably do it... but right now... Well, maybe, but it'd be draining and would take a while."

"We'll cover you, just do it!" June snapped.

Karl nodded and headed to the window, putting a hand on one of the unbroken parts. The window began to frost over, said frost going outside and spreading across the exterior of the building. Karl had to close his eyes and concentrate, as he was having to spread his power over a much larger surface area than he was used to, but it was at least protecting the building from being directly set on fire.

But the fishmen realized what was happening, and decided they were going to storm the building and kill everyone personally. As a result, there was soon pounding on the door as they tried to break it down.

"They're trying to break in!" the innkeeper roared.

"Quick, barricade the door!" June urged, running over to a closed wine barrel and dropping it to its side in order to roll it over to the door.

« Last Edit: Mar 11 2019, 11:28 AM by Tyler294 »

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5917
Crossroads
Posted Mar 11 2019, 11:33 AM
There was a thud inside the barrel and the top came rolling off, then Nora crawled out, looking slightly dazed.

"Do ya mind?" she glanced up at June from the floor.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 11 2019, 11:35 AM
June glared down at the woman the floor incredulously.

"What the... what the hell were you doing in there?!"

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5917
Crossroads
Posted Mar 11 2019, 11:43 AM
Nora rolled her sleeve just a little bit to reveal a sharpened kitchen knife fashioned to her wristband. There was a bit of blood stained on it from previous use.

"What do ya think?" she asked.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 11 2019, 11:48 AM
June scrunched her lower lip and nodded.

"I approve."

Just then, the door was kicked open...

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 11 2019, 03:10 PM
Evelyn raised her shield and prepared for a fight.
"Anyone who isn't good in a fight get behind me," she said.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 12 2019, 10:56 AM
June promptly drew an arrow and fired it into the mass of creatures flowing in through the doorway, sticking one of them in the upper chest, just below the throat. But there were almost two dozen of them trying to make it inside.

"Karl, get the hell away from the window!"

"But you told me--"

"Change of plans! Get behind us!" June snapped.

"You'll never take mah inn alive!" the innkeeper roared, as several of the fishmen flanked around June and Evelyn and headed toward the bar.

A series of satisfying "clangs" were heard, as the innkeeper began to fight off the fishmen with nothing more than a frying pan. They didn't stand a chance...

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5917
Crossroads
Posted Mar 12 2019, 12:00 PM
Nora had been approached by two of the fishmen, one of which proceeded to yank her off the floor. Her knife was put to good use here as she sliced clean through its hand, causing it to yelp and drop her (And part of said extremity) just as a right hook came for its face. With the knife firmly entrenched in her wristband, the fishman had just enough time to look at her with contempt before half of its face was carved clean off and it fell over backwards.

The second fishman lunged at her with a torch, but her reflexes were quick enough to allow her to dodge. Planting the knife in the second fishman's ear, she had to duck another panic-swing of the torch and then rip and tear down its face and to its neck, which finally killed it.

Meanwhile another fishman opened the closet, and had its face caved in by a liquor bottle.

"Ya think ya better than ALCOHOL? I think ALCOHOL make ya DED!" a drunken Vance held up the stem of the bottle he'd just smashed.

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1138
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Mar 12 2019, 12:15 PM
“Huh,” Ada said as she leaned against her mop handle, “Good thing all the rooms cleared out, this is a really big group of customers.”