Author Topic: Crossroads  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 12 2019, 01:32 PM
One of the Dwellers managed to slip past everyone and approach Ada, who was standing behind everyone. Karl quickly stepped between them both, but quickly he realized he had no weapon.

"Uh... boy, I didn't think this one through..." he gulped.

The fishman sneered and raised his weapon, a crude piece of metal shaped like an oversized fishhook, and began to slash it at Karl. The first swing missed as Karl tried to back away, but wound up stumbling and falling over, then he quickly rolled aside as the Dweller swung again at the place he had just occupied on the floor.

"Oh wait... I could just use my magic..." the youth realized as he finally got back to his feet.

He quickly fabricated a crude approximation of a sword and shield (modeled after Everyn's, since she was the closest reference), made from ice, and adopted what he thought was a ready position.

"Alright, come at me!" he nervously taunted.

The Dweller obliged, charging him and sweeping his fishhook at him. Karl tried to block with his ice shield, but the force of impact shattered it. Luckily, the attempted block redirected the hook away enough that it only caused a shallow laceration across his unprotected arm.

"Ow!" he yelped, backing away again.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 13 2019, 01:02 PM
That Dweller instantly met Evelyn's blade, showing that she was an experienced adventurer. The look on her face was serious as she focused on holding off the enemy forces. She didn't spare any words that weren't necessary as she coordinated with June.

At one point she actually put her sword back in its scabbard and focused before a spear made of light formed in her hand and she threw it at one of the larger Dwellers, impailing it and throwing it off its feet. A moment later her sword was back in her hand, slashing at any Dweller that got too close.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 13 2019, 04:22 PM
"Thanks." Karl said to Evelyn in embarrassment.

Meanwhile, June hadn't been able to get that many arrows out before she had to switch to her sword. While more than capable with both weapons, her cross training meant she was elite in neither of them. Still, she could hold her own, and the simple fishmen and their simple weapons proved little threat individually.

The problem was there were many, many individuals. Everlyn veering off to save Karl briefly left a hole in their defensive line, allowing a few to move in behind them. There were a couple patrons left in the bar who also tried to help, but one got a harpoon in the gut for his efforts, and the other was retreating to the bar.

However, the flow of new Dwellers had stopped, and it appeared that only those already in the inn were currently a threat.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5917
Crossroads
Posted Mar 20 2019, 12:06 PM
Nora had been handling herself just fine, until a slightly bigger and tougher Dweller came at her and simply didn't care that it had been stabbed in the cheek with a wrist-mounted knife. The Dweller landed a hit on her with the hilt of its weapon.

Vance meanwhile had pulled up a board from the floor with a nail in it and had rushed over to fight the big Dweller.

"Yoo leave the tech-thingy alone ya springy-"

He thwacked the Dweller with the floorboard in the... arm. The Dweller dropped his weapon and grabbed Vance and Nora and one-arm Charger'd each of them.

This prompted the emergence of another feminine figure who had been fighting in the background until now.

With a fairly muscular build and rather tall for a woman, about 5'11-6'0, someone like her wouldn't normally stand out too much except for her clothes, which were decidedly out-of-place here and belonging to a fancier location no doubt. But her defining feature that set her apart from everyone in the tavern was her solid blue eyes. (Oh no)

The woman made quick work of the large Dweller, pulling a barstool out of nowhere and smashing it upon its head while it was still smashing father and daughter.

The Dweller dropped the twosome and staggered, shaking its head and reached for her, but received a second bash to the skull for its efforts, this time from the legs of the stool which managed to incapacitate it.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 20 2019, 02:03 PM
"Girls around here are crazy." a wide-eyed Karl uttered under his breath, after witnesses the arrival of the latest entry into the female cast.

He was torn from his thoughts a second later, as a bunch of bottles in the shelves behind him abruptly shattered, thanks to a magical explosion. The remaining Dwellers parted, allowing one carrying a staff, a spellcaster of some sort, to have a free life-of-fire on the defenders.

"They have a mage!" June exclaimed, trying to reach for her bow again, but being forced to abort the attempt due to another melee attack from her left.

The Dweller Shaman didn't follow-up immediately, instead charging up a more powerful attack, which he would have fired right into the midst of the defenders. But just before he launched it, his head was suddenly severed from his neck from behind, by a katana-wielding man in a guard captain's uniform. Behind him at the door was a small group of men from the city guardforce.

"If the gods had wanted you to live, they would not have created ME!" the captain growled at the fishman corpse.

"Oh great..." June recognized her old boss.

"ATTAAAAHAACK!" the captain then promptly cut-down the remaining Dwellers in rapid succession.

"Hey... did you notice the captain has a curved sword?" one of the guards in the background remarked.

"Huh... Curved sword..." a second guard nodded in amazement.

« Last Edit: Mar 20 2019, 02:05 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5917
Crossroads
Posted Mar 20 2019, 02:57 PM
"And THAT's wat ye get fer touchin THAT!" Vance was pummeling the downed large Dweller with his floorboard, occasionally gesturing to himself with his free hand.

The blue-eyed woman casually sidestepped away from Vance, but was more interested in the fallen mage.

"A mage..." her voice had a slight echo to it as she glanced down at said mage.

Not really caring if she got her hands dirty or not, she started ruffling through the things it was carrying, looking for who knows what.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 20 2019, 05:27 PM
Evelyn maintained an alert posture as she made sure all the Dwellers were no longer a threat.

After being satisfied, she slung her shield across her back and started examining the bodies of their fallen enemies, mostly out of habit to check for anything of interest or value, but also because she was unfamiliar with these creatures.

"Aquatic, bipedal..." she said to herself as she examined one of them. "What would cause them to attack though?"

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 21 2019, 12:05 PM
"That's a very good question, missy, one I don't have the answer to!" the captain snapped, "However..."

He trailed-off upon seeing June.

"...Hi..."

The captain just sneered at her, before continuing.

"However, someone, somewhere must know, because yesterday, an anonymous tip was sent to the mayor's office, warning of an impending attack and providing the address to some sort of secret weapon. Of course, nobody saw fit to take it seriously until just now, after the location of this supposed secret weapon has already been overrun by the enemy!"

"So, what is the secret weapon?" Karl asked.

"Nobody knows, otherwise it wouldn't be a secret, son!" the captain snapped, "Now then, I need every able-bodied man, woman and child to arm themselves and follow me! We are launching a recovery operation behind enemy territory to acquire this weapon, whatever it may be!"

"Uh, you saying you want literally every able-bodied person along for this mission?" June inquired, thinking maybe she'd get lucky and the captain wouldn't want her going with.

"Good point, the innkeeper can stay." the captain nodded, "The rest of ya, get ready to move out!"

"I have a bad feeling about this." Karl remarked.

« Last Edit: Mar 21 2019, 12:32 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1138
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Mar 21 2019, 03:30 PM
"Sorry Mr. The Innkeeper, but it looks like I'm quiting." Ada said as she dropped her mop and ran up to Karl, "We got a job! We got a job!

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5917
Crossroads
Posted Mar 21 2019, 03:59 PM
"I quit on life..." Nora, between grimaces and back spasms, grumbled from the floor.

"Yu cain't quit on yer live! You gotsta live for ever!" Vance finally stopped pummeling the Dweller and started scolding.

"Oooh for the love of the gods shut up..." Nora was holding her head now.

The blue-eyed woman, returning dissatisfied from the Shaman, saw Nora, one of the few if not the only person on the ground still in salvageable condition and approached.

"Need a hand?" she offered.

"Please..." Nora instinctively held up her left, as her right had the wrist blade still unsheathed.

To her surprise, she was pulled to her feet swiftly. Not so much to her surprise, she found herself all kinds of woozy and dazed and was stumbling around.

"Thanks," Nora shakily said in gratitude.

"You're welcome," the woman replied with a smile before approaching the Innkeeper.

"Here's next month's rent by the way," she gave him some coin, "Way early, but I'm leaving so you can use it."

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 21 2019, 05:57 PM
"I know this is probably going to be a pointless question," Evelyn said a she stood up and slid her sword into her scabbard. "But shouldn't we focus more on defense until the people are safe, then start pushing the enemy back?

I mean... it would make sense to have someplace to return this weapon to... right? What's the point if we get it and there's nowhere to bring it because the enemy's already taken the town and killed everyone?"

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 22 2019, 02:21 PM
"Excellent! I can use this to fix the upstairs window!" the innkeeper beamed.

Meanwhile...

"Are you questioning my orders, maggot!?" the captain got into Evelyn's face, "Our duty is to recover the weapon A! S! A! P! So unless you wanna try to infiltrate the town after it's been overrun and fortified by fifty-thousand frogmen, I suggest you follow my orders!"

"Better idea would be to just get out while the getting's good." June whispered to Evie.

"I have a question!" Karl raised his hand.

The captain scowled and turned toward the ice mage.

"Class is dismissed, boy! Now grab a weapon and get ready to move out!" the captain barked, "I expect you all outside in sixty seconds! Fifty-nine! Fifty-eight! Fifty-seven!"

He marched out the door, still counting down each individual second, and waited there for everyone to grab whatever needed to be grabbed and get outside.


Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5917
Crossroads
Posted Mar 22 2019, 03:01 PM
"What was your question?" Nora asked Karl pointedly as she tried (And failed) to drag Vance off of the floor while the blue-eyed woman simply started searching more of the bodies.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 22 2019, 07:37 PM
"he tries to rope me into that insane plan, I'm charging him triple my usual rate," Evelyn said as she went back to examining the bodies herself, moving from looting anything useful or valuable to working out potential vulnerabilities that can be exploited.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 22 2019, 07:58 PM
"I was going to ask what sort of weapon he recommended for a beginner." Karl shrugged in response to Nora.

"We should escape out the back door." June suggested to Evie.

"There is no back door, remember!" the innkeeper reminded her.

"Right... damn it." June grumbled, before turning back toward Evelyn, "Okay, let's compromise and charge him quadruple your usual rate."

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8221
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Mar 22 2019, 08:30 PM
"Heh... I kinda like that idea," Evelyn replied with a smirk.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5917
Crossroads
Posted Mar 22 2019, 11:00 PM
"Yeah well it can't be hard to beat a barstool at least," Nora joked to Karl.

"I heard that," the blue-eyed woman echoed from across the room.

"And?" Nora craned her neck to look at her, just now noting the fullness of her eyes.

"... You right," she got a shrug and another kooky smile in response.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 22 2019, 11:06 PM
"Maybe she can teach me how to wield a barstool?" Karl wondered aloud, before looking at the blue-eyed girl, "Oh, what's your name by the way? I'm Karl."

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 5917
Crossroads
Posted Mar 23 2019, 11:31 AM
"Angel. Angel Grace," was the response, "AKA barstool ordinaire."

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14265
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Mar 23 2019, 04:36 PM
"Nice to meet you!" Karl replied.

Part of why he left home was to meet girls. He just didn't imagine he'd meet five of them within two days of arriving in the city!

"TEN SECONDS!" the captain roared outside.

"Oh, we should probably get out there." Karl sighed, "You don't suppose you could teach me in the ways of the barstool, could ya?"

He went to grab one of said seating items, but the innkeeper would have none of that.

"Oi! Go get your own barstool, boy!"

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1138
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Today at 01:37 PM
"Coming new-awesome-employer-boss-man!" Ada sang as she skipped out the door.