Author Topic: Crossroads  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Apr 11 2019, 07:05 AM
Just then, a pair of Greek Fire (or this universe's equivalent, since we don't have any Greeks) grenades landed in the middle of the dweller horde, promptly shattering and spewing flames all over them. The few who avoided  it were promptly beheaded by the guard captain, who had come roaring back to their location.

With all the dwellers in the immediate vicinity dead, the captain snapped to attention and threw a mocking salute at the corpses.

"Up yours, maggots!" he barked, before turning back to the player characters, "What are you ladies all standing around for!? We've secured the objective!"

Were they all to peak around the corner, they'd find the area in front of the warehouse to be cleared of hostiles. Also, all the guards were dead too.

"Uh, I'm a man!" Karl pointed-out dumbly.

"Form up! It's time to recover that secret weapon!" the captain barked, ignoring Karl.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Apr 11 2019, 08:26 AM
Vance recovered the floorboard and helped Nora off the ground, the latter getting real tired of the ground pound.

Angel had a few questions buzzing in her mind right now, but figured she didn't really want to be the target of a creative insult by the captain during which time more dwellers could arrive and stick them all, so she remained quiet and followed orders.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8417
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Apr 11 2019, 10:09 AM
Evelyn bit back a few choice words, specifically regarding the lack of "we" in securing anything due to lack of surviving guards. In her mind the Captain's leadership was horrendous, and his strategy probably amounted to "throw bodies at the problem". Not the kind of leader she'd willingly follow.

"June," she spoke up. "Scavenge any arrows you can on the way. Don't have time to shop for more."

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Apr 11 2019, 11:38 AM
"Easily done." June replied, simply stealing the arrows from one of the dead guards, since he clearly didn't need them anymore.

Meanwhile, the captain returned to the front doors of the warehouse.

"Now, to secure to the objective." he stated.

"If the Dwellers couldn't get in, surely it must be locked?" Karl wondered.

The Captain tried the doors, finding that they opened without resistance.

"I... guess not..." Karl trailed-off.

The Captain threw the doors all the way open, allowing some light to shin into the barn, revealing...

Salt.

A huuuuuge mound of salt.

"Is this some kind of joke...?" June scowled.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Apr 11 2019, 11:43 AM
"What are we supposed to do with this?" Nora also scowled, "There's got to be something else here, right?"

Angel cocked her head for a moment, a thought occurring to her.

"These creatures are from the lake, right? Pour the salt into the water," she suggested.

"Wha- is this another of jor majek trix?" Vance half slurred, half mocked.

"No... it's science!" Angel pointed up at the sky triumphantly.

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1221
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Apr 11 2019, 11:49 AM
“You sillies!” Ada smiled, “The secret weapon thingy is probably hidden under the salt!”

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8417
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Apr 11 2019, 03:13 PM
Evelyn just had a deadpan look on her face.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Apr 11 2019, 05:07 PM
"Why would you hide the weapon under all that salt!?" June snapped.

"Because if salt touches a frog's skin, it makes them DIE PAINFULLY!" the guard captain barked, "Clearly, the salt is here to ward the frogmen away from the weapon!"

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1221
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Apr 11 2019, 05:47 PM
"Start digging!" Ada said as she took a running jump into the pile... and face planted right onto it.

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Apr 12 2019, 06:23 AM
"Error 404: Logic not found..." Angel facepalmed.

"I hate everything about this," Nora moaned.

"Back to the salt mines for you then," Angel half-joked from between her fingers.

"... That was terrible and you should feel bad," Nora gave her a soft glare.

"I pheel badd…" Vance was laying on the floor next to the wall, his drunken euphoria apparently starting to give way to a hangover.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8417
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Apr 13 2019, 06:52 PM
"Considering I've never heard of these guys before today..." Evelyn said. "I seriously doubt it was planning ahead."

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Apr 13 2019, 07:58 PM
As Evelyn was talking, Karl leaned up against one of the doors to rest a little, but quickly jumped away when he felt something sticking into his back. Turning around, he found a note nailed the door, which he promptly snatched off.

"Uh... guys...?" he spoke-up sheepishly.

He offered the note to whomever wanted to take it. Handwritten in a well-practiced and fancy style was the following message:

Quote
Spread the salt upon the roads to halt their advance. This will buy time to reinforce the defenses. Drive them back into the lake, then use more salt to render it uninhabitable for their kind. Be warned. If you do not wipe them all out, your city will never again be safe.

-H

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8417
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Apr 14 2019, 01:23 PM
Evelyn took a look at the note and groaned.

"Oh for the love of..." she said. "Guys... the so called secret weapon isn't buried in the salt... it IS the damn salt!"

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Apr 15 2019, 04:49 PM
"Wait, isn't that what I said?" Angel peered in at the mound.

"What do we do with it?" Nora asked Evelyn, seeing as she had the note.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8417
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Apr 15 2019, 10:17 PM
Evelyn just passed the note over to Nora.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Apr 16 2019, 01:33 PM
"I guess we we spread it on the roads and throw it in their faces!" June blurted sarcastically, "Best battle strategy ever!"

"It will take too long to try and spread all that on the road by hand." Karl noted, looking at the pile.

Offline DeadJim

  • Role Player
  • ***
  • Posts: 1221
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Crossroads
Posted Apr 17 2019, 08:26 AM
“But it will be faster than spreading it by foot!” Ada said optimistically as she lifted her head.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8417
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Apr 23 2019, 10:50 AM
Evelyn just facepalmed.
"Oh for the love of..." she sighed. "Even by hand, it would take to long and the town's still under active attack. You think they're gonna just stop and wait for you to spread that around by hand? Try looking for a cart or something else that can carry a lot more than your hands."

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted Apr 24 2019, 12:42 PM
"I have a cart," Nora offered.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted Apr 24 2019, 12:59 PM
"But where is the cart?" June questioned, looking at Nora.

"I do not see a cart moving, ladies!" the guard captain snapped, "Get to that cart, maggots!"

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8417
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted Apr 26 2019, 02:48 PM
Evelyn's eye twitches in annoyance as she resists the urge to hurt the Guard Captain.

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline JA-394

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 6021
Crossroads
Posted May 04 2019, 04:32 PM
"At the farm," was the simple answer.

"Ware elsa wood we kelp a kart?" Vance slurred.

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted May 05 2019, 07:54 AM
"Great... how far is the farm?" June wondered.

"It's not far out of town." Karl noted, having been shown the place the previous day, "We could probably go there and get back here in less than an hour."

"Some of us need to stay on the point and guard the objective!" the captain barked, "Unless it's the farm!"

"So... split up?" June interpreted.

Offline Rattler

  • Dedicated Role Player
  • ****
  • Posts: 8417
  • The Fox
Crossroads
Posted May 05 2019, 02:35 PM
"Don't look at me," Evelyn said. "Armor will slow me down."

 --
That little mutant Stromboli snuck up on me! GAH... functified again! -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Tyler294

  • Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • *****
  • Posts: 14592
  • The Default User
Crossroads
Posted May 08 2019, 10:48 AM
"I'll go." June offered, then pointed at Vance and Nora, "If you two lead the way, I'll watch our backs. Deal?"

She cast a sidelong glance at the captain.

"It's safer out there than in here anyway."