Author Topic: Cold Secrets  (Read 39144 times)

Offline Satellite1397

• Redshirt
Re: Cold Secrets
Posted Dec 30 2013, 08:38 AM
"They would have to figure out where we were, first. And there's been no advancement with communications," Emillian replied.

Offline Garyn Dakari

• Overlord
  • Dedicated Role Player
  • Garyn of Dakari
    • Garyn_Dakari
Posted Jan 03 2014, 02:33 AM
    Lincoln cast a glance up to the top of the ship. He couldn't see the engineers, but he knew they were probably up there right now.
    "Give them time. They'll get it fixed." He said.

As the group walked along the length of the ship, it was gradually getting deeper and deeper into the snow as they neared the nose, with the severed back end being the highest just above ground level. It must have embedded itself in the ground pretty deep upon landing. There was a lot of steam rising from around the ship, as the warmth cooked the ice and snow. Lincoln suddenly felt like the ground shifted slightly under them, and he slowed to a stop. The nose of the ship was just a few hundred feet off by now.

--
You can't survive on one cookie every two days.

Offline Satellite1397

• Redshirt
Posted Jan 05 2014, 05:30 PM

(I hope this isn't detrimental to whatever plotline we were going for...)

Levi had made a nice crater around his specimen, finding it to be a different color than what he was used to entirely. "It-s...it's red. That's strange."

Emillian looked up. "Hey, the botanist found something," she declared.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
  • The Glorious Brain of the Operation
Posted Jan 05 2014, 06:44 PM
Kait turned back to look at it. "Um, is that a plant?"

--
Milestones are important, because they remind us that no matter how far we've come, we will never convert to the metric system!

Offline Satellite1397

• Redshirt
Posted Jan 06 2014, 05:16 PM
"Looks to be," Levi muttered, jumping up from his knees. "I wouldn't want to disturb it more than I have, just in case. But there really is no way to tell without a lab. Oh, I wish I could take a specimen with me..."

Offline Garyn Dakari

• Overlord
  • Dedicated Role Player
  • Garyn of Dakari
    • Garyn_Dakari
Posted Jan 11 2014, 12:00 AM
"Excuse the software engineer's ignorance, but what does finding a plant mean?" Lincoln asked, wondering why the others were getting excited over this.

--

Offline Satellite1397

• Redshirt
Posted Jan 12 2014, 11:34 AM
"Nothing about our current situation, unfortunately. But plants on earth were evolved for the best mode of absorbing light. Green chlorophyll. Here, though, the plants are red, which means the light on this planet is much different from earth." Levi's face lit up as he thought of something pertaining to their situation. "It does mean, though, that we have a source of food on this planet. Given there is more than one species of plant."

Offline Garyn Dakari

• Overlord
  • Dedicated Role Player
  • Garyn of Dakari
    • Garyn_Dakari
Posted Jan 13 2014, 12:42 AM
"This doesn't mean we'll start turning funny colors, does-" Lincoln was a few meters away from Levi, and he took a step forwards while talking, only to get pulled downwards along with the simultaneous sound of cracking ice and the splash of freezing cold water. He'd unwittingly just walked out onto a frozen lake hidden by snow.

--

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
Posted Jan 13 2014, 09:14 PM
Kait let out an involuntary shriek of surprise. She quickly stepped forward, then immediately stepped back again, wondering if it was really a good idea to go walking out towards the hole. Logic took over impulse quickly, and she held out a hand to stop the others in case they tried the same thing she almost did. "Stay back. Um..." A quick glance at the others confirmed that she was the smallest of the group.
    "Somebody grab my legs." She said quickly, laying down on the ice to spread her weight around.

--
Milestones are important, because they remind us that no matter how far we've come, we will never convert to the metric system!

Offline Satellite1397

• Redshirt
Posted Jan 14 2014, 07:30 PM
Emillian grabbed her legs immediately, her heart pounding. She was absolutely positive she would not be the first person to die on this new planet. Hopefully she would never, but she at least did not want to be first.

Levi jumped backwards, searching for more vegetation. If he could find a vine-like plant, perhaps he could make a rope and pull Lincoln in before anything happened. But for vines he needed trees, and the nearest lumps looked a little less than a mile away.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
Posted Jan 16 2014, 04:25 PM
Kait soldier-crawled across the ice on her belly towards the hole, hoping it wouldn't break. Once at the hole, she stripped off her gloves and set them on the ice a couple feet from the hole, then reached into the freezing water to see if she could grab Lincoln.

--

Offline Garyn Dakari

• Overlord
  • Dedicated Role Player
  • Garyn of Dakari
    • Garyn_Dakari
Posted Jan 17 2014, 04:05 PM
Lincoln could barely even think right now - he felt as though a thousand icy needles had just stabbed into his heart, and all his muscles were beginning to lock up on him. In what few cohesive thoughts he could muster, he realized that he needed to get up and out, and he began attempting to swim.

To the others present however, it looked like he was just frantically thrashing and splashing trying to keep his hands above water. His heavy coat wasn't doing him any favors here either.

--

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
Posted Jan 17 2014, 04:38 PM
Kait managed to grab one of Lincoln's arms with both of her hands, which were starting to grow numb. She pulled as hard as she could, but her upper body strength was nothing impressive, and the water made Lincoln much heavier than normal.

--

Offline Satellite1397

• Redshirt
Posted Jan 18 2014, 12:20 PM
Levi took off, trudging through the snow towards the closest tree. Once there, he dug through the dense snow until he found what he was looking for. "Red vines," he murmured, thinking of the candy as he tested it and pulled. Strong enough. The red plant trailed behind him as he ran back, adrenaline coursing through him. He tied a noose, something he had learned a long time ago, and threw it towards Lincoln and Kait.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
Posted Jan 20 2014, 04:08 PM

If he could find a vine-like plant, perhaps he could make a rope and pull Lincoln in before anything happened. But for vines he needed trees, and the nearest lumps looked a little less than a mile away.

((Running a mile takes roughly eight to fifteen minutes, and it would be more in this weather wearing heavy clothes. By the time Levi got there and back, if Lincoln was still in the water, he would probably be dead.))

--

Offline Garyn Dakari

• Overlord
  • Dedicated Role Player
  • Garyn of Dakari
    • Garyn_Dakari
Posted Feb 13 2014, 11:16 PM
((Erm... hey people, anything going on? We can just say the trees were closer and move on, or come up with a different method, I'm fine with just about anything.))

"So that Travis guy..." Craig said as he handed a tool down to his engineering partner Taneya. They had removed multiple panels near the base of the giant antenna they were trying to fix, and Taneya had lowered herself into a crawlspace and was poking around in there.
    "What about 'im?" She replied, her voice muffled and echoing from her position.
    "Who is he? Why's he in charge?"
    "Someone has to be." Taneya replied with a proverbial shrug.
    "Yeah, but I'd rather that someone be an officer or some kind of appointed leader. He's not even qualified."
    "None of us are. The ones in charge of the operation are on the other side of the moon."
    "Then he's no more qualified than any of us."
    "What's yer point?"
    "My point is, I'd rather have a say in who's giving the orders. I'm sure I'm not the only one."
    "Maybe. But we can figure that out later, I'd rather fix this - or try to - before I freeze to death, now hand me the 3B spanner."

--