Author Topic: Age of Retribution Part V: The "Special" Force  (Read 188444 times)

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
Age of Retribution Part V: The "Special" Force
Posted Mar 02 2019, 10:00 AM
"She's abandoning us?" asked Doodles.

"Who cares about her." Cranky snorted, "Once a brat, always a brat!"

"Need help?"

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
Posted Mar 02 2019, 11:55 AM
Gort sighed, "Sure, give me a boost."

While the sound of scurrying wolfbengas deep within the caverns was steadily increasing, Ooqi paused for a moment when he thought he heard the sound of footsteps, other than that of those in his group. He shrugged it off and continued, but as they passed a side tunnel, he could have swore he saw eyes peering back at him. They quickly disappeared, and he glimpsed someone run into the darkness.

"Summer! Summer!" he whispered ahead to the group, though he wasn't going to wait to see if anyone heard him, as he darted off after the figure.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Mar 02 2019, 11:59 AM
"Yes? Yes?" Summer stopped and looked around, "What do you need? What do you need?"

She noticed Ooqi running off the wrong way.

"Hey, Ooqi, where are you going?" she asked, then ran after them, also not bothering to wait to see if the others were following her.

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
Posted Mar 02 2019, 12:09 PM
"My dear word!" examined Miller, "I never been under your field before brother. How extortionary!"

Harvey rolled his eyes, "Is that all you care about? Adoring underground things?"

"Well technically...no." 

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Mar 02 2019, 12:26 PM
"Why thank you, Miller!" Marty beamed, "I care for my field with the finest fertilizer, a derivative of a special rock from Tomb Mountain, which gives my soil it's luscious volume, and enhanced growing abilities!"

Ooqi kept running until he came to 3 tunnels, all leading different directions. He paused and listened, trying to hear in which tunnel the figure had gone.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Mar 02 2019, 12:41 PM
Ooqi heard something. It sounded like bootsteps, behind him, getting closer... quickly.

Then he was brawled over and flattened by a wild Summer.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Mar 05 2019, 05:05 PM
"...Ouch."

His lay there on the ground a moment, before attempting to stand up. The attempt failed, as Summer was still on top of him.

"Summer," he wheezed, "we need to figure out which tunnel the creepy figure went down!"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Mar 06 2019, 05:47 AM
Summer popped back up to her feet.

"Clearly, he went thattaway!" she declared, pointing at the right tunnel, "Let's go, Ooqi!"

She picked him up and hauled him over her shoulder, then started charging down the right tunnel.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Mar 24 2019, 03:21 PM
The tunnel continued for several hundred feet, until it opened up into a large rectangular room. To the left on the same wall were two other tunnels. On the right wall another tunnel entered, and ahead of them the tunnel got narrower and shorter. By that point Ooqi wiggled free from Summer's grip, and went crashing to the floor. 

"Do you see any footprints?" Ooqi asked as he stared at the ceiling.

Before Summer had a chance to answer, they could hear footsteps approaching from the tunnel to the right.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Mar 25 2019, 08:41 AM
"No, but I hear them." she reported in a hushed tone, "We should hide, maybe we can ambush them when they arrive."

She quickly ducked behind cover and waited for whatever was coming to arrive.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Mar 31 2019, 08:36 AM
"How can you hear footprints..." Ooqi muttered as he hobbled over to where Summer was hiding.

They could then hear the sound of singing echoing from one of the entering tunnels, and as it gradually approached it sounded like the voice of a young girl.

"Mountain, once a friend to me
City, once of light
People once of happy days
Now are lost to night.

So let us all remember them
Of the mountain caverns deep
for in the halls of Tolneirna...

Hey Mr. Wolfbenga... and friends! Get ready for a fight!!!"

The sound of animals screeching echoed through the tunnel, and one, in a desperate attempt to escape, ran into room Ooqi and Summer were. It had what appeared to be the body of a weasel, though it was slightly larger. It's face was pointed like a badger, covered with brown scabby fir and long whiskers. It's teeth hung out beyond the bottom lip, with the sharp tips covered in the stain of blood. It's tail seemed to have whiskers coming out the end as well, though upon closer look they were pointed and sharp like quills.

It paused in the room and sniffed the air, and for a moment, it might have actually looked like a cute animal. It then extended itself on it's hind legs, and stood up staring in the direction of Summer and Ooqi. It let out a hideous sounding screech, but suddenly it fell over with a small blade embedded in it's back. Then in from one of the other rooms skipped a little girl with blonde hair and a flail in hand. She waltzed on by and through one of the tunnels opposite where she had entered, singing once again.

"Distant cries and ancient songs
And memories ever clear
All vanish in a single breath
Yet the voices, I still do hear.

Mountain, once a friend to me
City, once of light
Now are lost to night..."

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Apr 03 2019, 08:50 AM
"She seems suspicious, maybe we should trail her." Summer whispered.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Apr 04 2019, 02:03 PM
Ooqi just sat there for a moment, shocked by the sight of the wolfbenga and the screams he had heard. And then, regaining his composure, he raced out and looked at the three possible tunnels she had gone through.

"Naeleeeeen!" he whispered, though she had already gone out of earshot. Then the hair stood up on the back of his neck, for he heard the sound of footsteps shuffling away down one of the tunnels behind him.

After splinting his leg roughly with sticks the birds had brought him, Gort pulled himself onto his feet, and leaned against the wall for support.

"I don't suppose birds have a keen sense of direction?" he grunted as he held his chest in pain. He had probably broken a few ribs in the fall as well.

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Apr 04 2019, 02:31 PM
Summer followed Ooqi and stopped when he stopped, but she wasn't afraid of the sounds that were coming from the tunnel.

"NAELEEN! HEY! Wait for us!"

Offline Shawnex

• Redshirt
Posted Apr 04 2019, 03:05 PM
"Well..." Doodles thought for a moment before looking in the tunnel, "If I may recall, Naeleen went... that direction!" he pointed to the right, "But it may be a trap. So, we can take the other direction."

"That's where those beasts came from!" snapped Cranky, "There may be more in there if we go that way!"

"But Cranky, they could appear anywhere. So what's the difference?"

"The difference is," Cranky began to answer, "WE'RE BOUND TO BE DEAD!! SLAUTERED! ROASTED! TOASTED! AND EAT US ALIIIIIVE!!!"

"Wait a minute? How can they eat us alive after we're dead?" asked Doodles.

Cranky paused and thought for a moment.

"They have their own ways!" he quickly answered.

"But if Naeleen fights anyone in her path, we'll have a clear path to get out of here! So we'll follow her!" explained Doodles.

"Even if that's the only good plan, we're more dead than ever."

"You got other plans?"

"Yes."

"Well what is it?"

"Just give me a second than I'll think of something." Cranky replied.

"No time for that! We have to get out of here! Follow me!" Doodles roared and walked to the tunnel.

"Ugh. Fine." groaned Cranky and followed, "Ya well enough to walk, Gort?"

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Apr 04 2019, 03:10 PM
Ooqi could hear the footsteps stop and then quickly begin to run away into the depths of the tunnel.

"Nevermind her, Summer!" Ooqi said as he ran down the tunnel he hoped was right, "She'll be fine."

"I'll manage." He said reluctantly, "It doesn't hurt anymore than following a pigeon."

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Apr 04 2019, 03:18 PM
"I wasn't worried about her, Ooqi!" Summer replied, as she chased after him.

Al woke up in the dark, his glasses missing and his bag not within his grasp.

"Bother..."

He began feeling around, trying to locate each item in the near pitch-black surroundings. His hands soon touched something soft.

"Aha, my bag."

*crack*

His knee rolled onto something hard.

"A... ha... my glasses." he sighed.

Fiddling around for a few more minutes, he managed to put the glasses back on his face, even though the glass was cracked, and then began searching through his bag.

"I thought I marked that emergency illumination potion with a string... ah, there it is."

After uncorking the bottle, a soft, bluish-white glow began to illuminate the chamber. Unfortunately, that revealed to him that his glasses were nearly completely useless.

"Oh dear."

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Apr 04 2019, 06:47 PM
Ooqi and Summer ran down the tunnel, until it suddenly declined steeply, sending them both sliding down a long chute into another large room with several offshoot tunnels. Within this room, they could see a pair a beady eyes staring at them from the shadows. Ooqi pulled himself off the ground and fumbled to grab his sword.

"Show yourself!" He said as his voice broke and squeaked.

"O-oqi?" An old voice trembled, "Is... is that you?"

"Well, probably..." Ooqi replied suspiciously, "That depends... who are you?"

"D-dont you remember me?" The old man said as he crawled out from the shadows. He was a leprechaun; worn in the face, with gray hair and tired eyes. He was slightly hunched over, with a walking stick that he leaned on heavily. "It is I! The King of the Leprechauns, the Lord of the Evynora, I, his majesty..."

"Oh no!" Ooqi cried, "Uncle Aarchie! What are doing here!!"

Then, Al could hear a sound approaching. It was a young girl's voice, and it appeared to be singing.

"...once a friend to me
City, once of light
Now are lost...
Oh, hey Al! ...What's wrong with your eye? Did you get in a fight!"

« Last Edit: Apr 04 2019, 06:53 PM by DeadJim »

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Apr 04 2019, 07:03 PM
"Your uncle is a king!? Really? Does that make you a 2nd Prince?! Actually..." Summer paused and put a finger on her chin, "Given his age, maybe that'd be a 2nd Prince Once Removed. Ooqi, are you a 2nd Prince Once Removed!?"

Al was about to indignantly retort that there was absolutely nothing wrong with his eyes, and that it was just his glasses that were damaged (the latter being true, the former... not so much... he has glasses for a reason you know), but something else caused him to stir in recognition.

"Naeleen, that song... how did you know it?"

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Apr 04 2019, 07:48 PM
"No! He only thinks he's a king!" Ooqi replied in annoyance, before turning back to Aarchie, "What are you doing here?!"

"You must address me as, Your Highness!" Aarchie demanded, "I will not tolerate disrespect!"

"Fine... why me. Why always me? Uncle Your Highness Aarchie, WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN A WOLFBENGA HOLE IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIELD HUNDREDS OF MILES AWAY FROM THE HOME WE PUT YOU IN!"

"I'm reclaiming my kingdom, of course!"

"...You're kingdom is in Marty Morrison's field?!"

"No, of course not!" Aarchie replied, "That's what I was doing, before I had to seek out revenge for a brutal betrayal!"

"...you're taking your revenge out on a field?" Ooqi questioned.

"Precisely! I'm so glad you understand... I may knight you yet!" The old leprechaun laughed.

"What song? Oh that song? My uncle taught me," Naeleen said proudly, "he taught me lots of the songs he learned in Tolneirna. He is a great adventurer you know!"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Apr 05 2019, 07:31 AM
"Well, I hate to break it to you, your Majesty." Summer began apologetically, "But I'm afraid the field has already been defeated."

"Tolneirna..." Al trailed-off, "Huh, it's just odd. My grandpa used to sing that song occasionally, and I'd never heard it anywhere else, so I thought it was just something he made up in a drunken stupor."

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Apr 07 2019, 12:34 PM
"I'm not defeating a field," Aarchie stated solemnly as a evil glint shown in his eyes, "I'm here to defeat the Morrisons."

"Well of course you don't know it!" Naeleen said sarcastically as she rolled her eyes, "It's the Song of the Mountain! Only dwarfs know it!"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Apr 09 2019, 05:45 AM
"You and what army?" Summer asked, more out of curiosity than taunting, "You could not hope to take on all the Morrisons on your own!"

"I am a dwarf..."

« Last Edit: Apr 09 2019, 05:53 AM by Tyler294 »

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
Posted Apr 11 2019, 05:42 PM
"An army of wolfbengas!" Aarchie laughed wildly, "And I take them on individually, until one by one I destroy them! That will teach that witch for crossing Aarchie, the King of the Leprechauns, the Lord of the Evynora, I, his majesty..."

"UNCLE AARCHIE!" Ooqi snapped.

"Yees?"

"I work for a Morrison."

"YOU LITTLE TRAITOR YOU!" Aarchie screamed as he feebly drew his sword, "I ought to strip you of your knighthood that I haven't granted yet!"

"Wait..." Ooqi thought for a moment, "This better not be about the chicken coop again!"

"No you nitwit!" Aarchie growled, "I made a deal with the witch to help me restore our kingdom, but she betrayed me! I shall destroy them slowly... and silently... until one night I rid them of their own company!"

Naeleen blinked. Twice. Her eyes widened, and her jaw dropped.

"Well then," she said confidently while regaining her composure, "you're doing a terrible job!"

Offline Tyler294

• Game Master
  • Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
Posted Apr 11 2019, 06:00 PM
"But we're part of their company!" Summer exclaimed, "Their mercenary company, that is... Hey! Wait a second..."

She slowly turned toward Ooqi and smiled.

"We're here to fight after all!"

"Do not attempt to pass judgement on me because I do not conform to racial norms." Al huffed indignantly, "Just because I trim my beard, refuse to carry a sword or an axe, and shorten may name to two letters instead of four, does not make me any less of a dwarf!"