Author Topic: The House of Dawnbreaker  (Read 86097 times)

Offline Garyn Dakari

• Overlord
  • Dedicated Role Player
  • Garyn of Dakari
    • Garyn_Dakari
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 12:39 PM
    The Man in White trudged up the slippery hill, undeterred by the relentless downpour of rain beating on his back. He was completely soaked and chilled to the bone, but he didn't slow or falter. Each heavy, sloppy step splashed mud further up his legs, and occasionally he'd catch a rock that'd slip from position, setting him back a few feet. He didn't curse, or even care, he just kept moving forward and upward with intractable indifference. That last slide certainly broke his legs. Or one of them at least. Didn't matter, he had arms and no intention on letting them go to waste.

The Man in White's hand crested the top of the hill and caught hold of a jagged rock. Any blood was soon washed away by the rain, and the pain by the indescribable satisfaction. Though it was the dead of night during a heavy rainstorm, hundreds of miles from anything that could pass for civilization in this land, the Man had no trouble seeing. The night stars, or distant cosmic Gates, as he knew them to be, glowed with such ferocity that just the smattering of them peaking through the gaps in the clouds, or in some cases shining right through them, was enough to illuminate the mud-covered land with a faint blue glow. He pulled his upper body atop the hill, right as a lightning bolt lit up the valley bellow for a fraction of a second. But a fraction was all he needed to see it. Even once the light had passed, the image had been bored into his skull, and he could still see it as clearly as ever. Grinning ear to ear, the Man in White finished his climb and shakily rose to his feet. He wasn't sure how he could do this on his broken legs, nor did he care, he simply was. Unable to contain himself any longer, he threw his head back to face the rain and let out a fit of uncontrollable hysterical and somewhat maniacal laughter, all of which was largely drowned out by the backdrop of lightning strikes and deafening thunderclaps.

The Man in White was in the eye of the storm, covered in mud, blood, and standing on two broken legs, yet he'd never felt more alive. Others would soon follow and see it as well, of course. Not only his associates, but his enemies too. Strangers he'd never met. People, monsters, warlords, peace keepers. He would see to that. A new era had been born, as far as the Man was concerned. All maps would point, all paths would cross, all heads would turn, and all roads would lead to...

Genre = Sci Fi/Fantasy
Setting = Dawnbreaker
RP Type = Action/Drama/Comedy/Horror
How to join = Closed
Participants: Aeliss Novak, Dead Jim, Garyn Dakari, Inyri Halon, JA-394, Mercy Bug, Rattler, Tyler294
Wikia Page
Discussion Thread

~Foreward~

Greetings Fellow Forgers. I'm reasonably certain that I need no introduction in such company, nor does this RP, but I'm giving it one all the same, mainly because I wanted to take a moment to reflect upon how far Dawnbreaker has come since its humble beginnings. Well, as humble as beginnings about two man-children having an e-peen measuring competition across the world in the form of role playing two demi-gods destroying the Star Wars universe in the comments of a poll on a broken website can be, anyway. Now that I've reflected for all of one run-on sentence, I see that perhaps it's not the distance that's relevant, but rather the direction. It began in spring of 2011, with three authors, three extras, and what passed for a story set in the Star Wars universe. Now here it is four years later, we've had twelve different authors in that time, some stayed, some didn't, between us we've completed nearly four Dawnbreaker stories spanning over two hundred story years, and we've long since moved from Star Wars to our own custom setting. So yes, it's been a long, winding, and confusing road, and not one we haven't been lost on a few times. Worth it? Well, I've met some of the best friends I've ever had doing this, my writing skills improved exponentially(Still rubbish though), and it set me on the path that will, God willing, take me to being a full time illustrator, so yes, for me it has been worth it.
    What does this have to do with The House of Dawnbreaker? Well it may demonstrate that Dawnbreaker is clearly something special to me that I'd still be interested in expanding it even after four years. Or it could prove that I'm an addict that needs help, but I prefer to think the former; inviting someone to share a creative passion sounds far more noble and worthwhile than inviting someone to share an addictive substance. Which is why you're entering a collaborative fiction and not my shroom collection. Now then, as the Director is frantically making hand motions there in the back for me to wrap this up, I'll just take the time to say to all you newcomers: Welcome to Dawnbreaker, and the twisted charming family that inhabits it. To those of you already committed: Welcome to your new home. I've put a lot of work into it, but it has a lot more to go.

But I'm sure you'll all be willing to pitch in.

Signed,
~Your temerarious GM.

-------------------------

~Index~

« Last Edit: Mar 06 2017, 09:03 PM by Garyn Dakari »

--
You can't survive on one cookie every two days.

Offline Garyn Dakari

• Overlord
  • Dedicated Role Player
  • Garyn of Dakari
    • Garyn_Dakari
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 12:40 PM
    The surveyor adjusted the range on his binoculars to get a clearer image of the walled city.

"There it is... definitely Nulsa. Safest known sanctuary from the anarchy that is the rest of the world..." He lowered the binoculars and held his hand out for his weasel-like companion to use as a walkway to scamper to his shoulder.

"Guess we're about to find out how true that is."

He turned around and returned to his bike. He turned the key and activated the rear propulsion to keep the back end afloat in the air, then walked along pushing it by the handle bars, rolling its singular front wheel through the dirt toward a nearby natural cave. The animal on his shoulder squeaked and twitched its nose at him.

"I know. But if there's one thing I've learned, it's never trust civilized people to be civilized, and never trust legitimately civilized people to be legitimate." Now that the bike was suitably obscured in shadow, he switched it off, then began pulling vines over it for cover.

His ear got lightly nipped and loudly squeaked in.

"I know that was two, I can count dammit! Now want a third? Badgers are the worst conversational partners." He finished obscuring the cave entrance with vines.

"Also, what are you even doing, I'm not the only one with legs. Time to use yours a little bit."

The badger/weasel thing landed in the grass on all four feet, then shook itself off indignantly.

---

One mile later...

"What goes there?" A guard shouted.

"Human." The man called back, stopping his walk and extending his arm. His pet was back on his shoulder in a second. "I think.." He muttered in afterthought.

"Intent?"

"Entrance into the city."

"Proceed."

He approached the guards and the closed gate, and looked up at the twenty foot wall.

"Keeping something out, or in?" He joked. Sort of.

"Name, for the records." The guard replied.

Records? Damn, this place is fancy. "Quintin Massana."

"Weapons?"

Quintin parted his already unzipped leather jacket(Because the Rule of Cool dictates that no jacket or coat go un-unzipped) to reveal a holstered handgun on the inside of the jacket.

The guards took note, but not the weapon itself.

"And this thing?" The guard asked, nodding at the animal on his shoulder.

"Her name's Honey. She's harmless, to you."

"You here for the celebration?"

"No..." Honey poked his neck. "...but I might stay for it?"

The guard's expression was blank and his eyes unreadable, due to the opaque visor, and he went silent for a few seconds, leading Quintin to wonder if he'd said the wrong thing.

"What are you here for then?"

"Food. Lodging. Fuel."

"Eh, in ya go then. Take note of the Word On The Wall and don't start no trouble." The guard knocked a couple times on the wooden gate, and a moment later someone inside opened it.

Quintin just nodded at him, scratched Honey behind the ears, then stepped through the gate. He was now in Nulsa.

"We're not staying for whatever this celebration is, you know." He said once out of earshot of any guards.

Honey gave him sad eyes.

"Don't even try that with me, you know I'm immune."

Beyond the gate inside the walls was a wide open clearing of hard-packed dirt, with a single lamp post near one corner, with metal signs welded to it pointing straight ahead up the mountain, left, and right. This seemed to be the lowest point of the uneven city, the majority of it was ahead, up the mountain slope. Around the clearing that served as an entry way were several old fashioned houses, some of which were partially on stilts to compensate for the sloped terrain. Several citizens and a couple of the town guard took notice of Quintin, then returned to their business.
    The way left, according to the signpost, lead to "The lighthouse". Just looking to the left he didn't see it, only buildings and the outer wall stretching on as far as the eye could see. Which wasn't far, due to the buildings. To the right was the jailhouse and the doctor, neither of which Quintin cared to visit right now. Straight ahead seemed to be where all the interest points lay, with a sign for the Town Centre, The Overwatch, a Train Station, food and room, and a couple signposts that were damaged and no longer readable.
    The forward-facing signs were rather redundant though, just looking up at the zig-zagging dirt road up the mountain made it clear where the majority of the city lay. On all sides of the winding road were more houses and buildings, with widely varying heights and sizes. Some were half on stilts, while others just went underground. Every sixty feet or so along the road was an inactive lamp post, as well. Quite a ways farther up, Quintin could see a medium-sized tower, reaching up above the rest of the city. Probably The Overwatch, were he to hazard a guess. His gaze didn't linger on it for long though, as something past it caught his eye. Something distant, and much higher up the mountain than the rest of the city. An old house. Perhaps not a house at all, it was rather massive. He hadn't noticed it immediately, just caught it out of the corner of his eye, but suddenly he couldn't help but stare. It seemed distant at first, but after a moment of looking at it, it appeared to ominously loom above the rest of Nulsa, even the central tower. It was haunting and sinister, yet, oddly welcoming, in a way. Truthfully it didn't feel that welcoming at all, it seemed to cast a dark shadow over the city and the air felt thick, but for some unexplainable reason he still felt drawn to it...

"Ow!" He jerked his head to the right, then glared at the animal on his shoulder. After a moment he looked back at the house - nope, just a distant building. Finally he just shook his head and shrugged, then started up the dirt path. Nobody seemed to use vehicles in this town, either for a lack of fuel or because of unfriendly terrain. He was hoping for the latter, though there were plenty of folk sitting atop trotting horses or similar creatures.

Once at the Town Centre, the city really came to life. Crowds of people made up of a multitude of species bustled about the area, some leading animals or pushing carts, others advertising or selling things on the street. After a moment of people watching, Quintin took note of the brick wall right in the center of the Centre - at the top of it in large print it read "THE CITY OF NULSA", and below it was a list of rules. They seemed fairly reasonable, no stealing, no killing, except in the case of an agreed upon witnessed duel, no vandalism, and so on. There were a few oddly specific ones as well, such as "Do not stray more than eight inches into another's flower bed", but it was hardly the strangest thing he'd seen this week.

A winding cobblestone path to the right lead to the base of the Overwatch tower. And now that he was higher in the city, looking down to the left he could see the distant lighthouse - it was on separate cliffside than the rest of the city however, with a deep canyon between it and the city wall. At the bottom of the canyon was a river, which connected to the ocean. The cliff eventually curved around and connected to the mountain region the city was on, but the more effective method of getting there seemed to be the parked cable tram. Assuming it worked of course. But that didn't matter, who cares about lighthouses. The far more interesting site wasn't left or right, it was again straight ahead; a massive, well-worn metal half-cylinder of sorts, jutting out from the hillside at an upward diagonal angle. At its highest point it was about fifty feet in the air, and metal beams had been put in place to hold it there. Underneath it was hollow, making a passage leading under the hill, in which there was a steady stream of sentients walking in and out of. It looked like a buried spaceship. A really, really big one. Signs indicated that it was an underground bazaar.

On the hill above the ship/market, was a train station without a train. It looked well maintained though, so a train was probably on the way, but who knows how long that would take.

"Well." Quintin finally said to his pet, once he'd taken in the sights. Then without a trace of enthusiasm: "What a lovely place."

« Last Edit: Aug 13 2015, 05:44 PM by Garyn Dakari »

--
You can't survive on one cookie every two days.

Offline JA-394

• Dedicated Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 01:08 PM
"You ever gonna tell us what these adrenals do, Copperhead?"

"Naw."

In a small, five-room laboratory that served as Nulsa's medical center, two rooms of such were devoted to genetic sciences. Namely stopping the spread of plagues and such before they could infect the town. One of the two served as Copperhead's lab, which he used both for its intended purpose, and to manufacture adrenals for himself, for reasons unknown.

Copperhead himself, a relatively small man, around five-foot-eleven, used to work in the town guard until a horrible illness struck him shortly after his wife died. He was in his late twenties. Or was it early thirties? He didn't disclose that to people. Either way he looked much older.

He was called Copperhead because of said look. He was skinny. Very skinny. Had pale yellow-tinted eyes with snake-like pupils. His skin was pockmarked, and he had permanent, visible goosebumps everywhere, giving the appearance, again, of a snake-like appearance. To top it all off, his hair color resembled copper, so an obvious nickname was Copperhead, and not a lot of people knew his real name despite him living here his whole life. He was a human, by the way.

Copperhead looked through his microscope at the molecules separating themselves in his test tube.

"Good."

"Seriously, Copperhead. What do these things do?" his assistant asked him again.

"I've been answering you for how long?" Copperhead deadpanned, not looking up, "Either way, my shift is over. See you later."

He grabbed the new adrenals and stuffed them in his old, worn out brown jacket with a thousand pockets and made for the door.

"I'll find out eventually," his assistant called after him.

"Sure you will," was the uncaring reply as Copperhead walked out the door, injecting an adrenal as he did so.

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 01:34 PM
The train, as it were, had been delayed at its last stop before arriving in Nulsa. Though with the general lack of major civilization around Nulsa, that last stop was still quite a ways off. Regardless, the engineer was just about to start up the engine once more. As the train slowly began to move, the conductor, a nasty fellow named Nall Borke, gave the last call, before stepping back to shut the passenger car door.

Almost out of nowhere, a young man in a blue tunic suddenly grabbed the door before it could be closed and forced it open again.

"Sorry! Sorry!" he exclaimed, squeezing past the conductor to get inside.

"Tickets?" Borke demanded.

"Here!" the man replied, showing the conductor two tickets.

Borke eyed him suspiciously then examined said two tickets.

"Which one is you?" he asked.

"Karl. My name is Karl." the man replied, extending his hand awkwardly.

Borke ignored the handshake attempt and continued to glare at him. Finally he shrugged, handed the tickets back and waved him past, growling something about re-collecting the tickets later. (Of course that was because he liked to collect them at full speed, so he could throw non-ticket-holders out the window. He was rather sadistic that way.)

"Thank you." Karl replied, before entering the passenger coach and looking open seats.

« Last Edit: Aug 13 2015, 01:37 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
  • The Glorious Brain of the Operation
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 02:19 PM
    The first open seats Karl would come to were directly across from a pair of quietly bickering travelers. The woman had her arms crossed in front of her chest and was rolling her dark epicanthic eyes at something her companion said.
    Said companion was gesticulating wildly and, despite the argument, grinning.

--
Milestones are important, because they remind us that no matter how far we've come, we will never convert to the metric system!

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 02:21 PM
"Um... is it alright if I si... w... is it alright if we sit here?" Karl asked the two, stopping next to the seats.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 02:35 PM
    "No." The woman said immediately.
    The man elbowed her in the side and smiled up at the newcomer. "Of course. Go ahead."
    Both of them looked human at first glance, but a closer inspection, if Karl was one to inspect his acquaintances, would reveal that the young man was not. Both of his hands had six long fingers and his eyes were a shade of teal that didn't look quite natural. Hiding in his mass of auburn curls there were what appeared to be several short horns and his ears were slightly pointed.
    While he had extra digits, the woman appeared to be missing half of her left pinky. Her dark brown, teal streaked hair was braided up into cornrows on the left side, leaving her neck bare and exposing two perfectly round scars above the collarbone, each about half an inch in diameter and an inch apart. The hair on the other side of her head was messy and braided into a fishtail, falling to just barely brush her shoulder.
    While the man greeted Karl, she peered up at him suspiciously. "'We?'"

« Last Edit: Jan 20 2016, 10:49 PM by Aeliss Novak »

--
Milestones are important, because they remind us that no matter how far we've come, we will never convert to the metric system!

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 02:44 PM
"My sister and I." Karl replied, taking a seat.

Karl seemed mostly unimpressive in appearance. He was slightly above average height at 6'0" and had a somewhat muscular build. His hair was blonde and relatively messy while his eyes were a cold grey. The most interesting feature was his skin, which was deathly pale, though he didn't appear sick. His blue tunic and faded brown pants looked like those worn by the simple peasant farmers that inhabited some of the remote villages out in the plains.

Maybe they were just imagining things, but the two travelers might have perceived it to be slightly cooler in the coach than it was a moment ago.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 02:49 PM
    The woman arched an eyebrow and started to open her mouth to say something, only to get another elbow in the ribs. She glared at her friend, straightened her dark green vest and leaned back into her seat, apparently deciding to ignore the two men for now.
    The man extended his hand towards Karl. "Name's Finnegan. And this is Madeline."

--

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 02:51 PM
"Karl Saxon." was the reply, followed by a firm handshake.

Although Karl's hand seemed unhealthily cold.

"Heading for Nulsa too?" he asked with a smile.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 02:54 PM
    "Yep. Have you ever been there?"

--

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:03 PM
"No... we've never been out of our hometown before. It's pretty exciting."

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:07 PM
    "Is your hometown?"

--

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:09 PM
"Exciting... no. Even more when nobody ever talks to you." Karl replied, "It's really fun meeting people who will talk to you!"

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:17 PM
    Finnegan gave Madeline a pointed look, which she pointedly ignored. "What's your hometown called?"

--

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:21 PM
"Rockstead... Because it was... built around a big rock." Karl replied, "Mostly everyone there just farms. Our father was a traveler though! We heard he saw all sorts of incredible things. He died before we were old enough to hear about it first-hand though. Mostly just stories passed down from mother and our grandparents."

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:25 PM
    Finnegan immediately pulled a leatherbound book from an inside pocket of his long dark coat and a pencil stub from behind his ear. He unbuttoned the strap holding the book closed, flipped to a page in the middle and scribbled something down. A couple scraps of paper fell from the book, but Madeline, clearly expecting this, caught them and stuffed them back in.

--

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:27 PM
Karl craned his neck slightly.

"What are you doing?"

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:29 PM
    "Making a list." He responded, snapping the book shut and stuffing it and the pencil back into their respective places.
    "Life is short." Madeline added.
    "Can't go everywhere."

--

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:30 PM
"Oh. So you're uh... vacationing?" Karl asked.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:31 PM
    "We're always vacationing."

--

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:34 PM
"Huh... well, that's cool! We're going to stay in Nulsa. Hopefully find a nice job and meet new friends. Maybe even have a house to bring mom to someday." Karl replied, leaning back and having a distant but hopeful look in his eye.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:39 PM
    "I'd like to find some kebabs, mostly." Finnegan mused.

--

Online Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:42 PM
"What are those?"

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:44 PM
    "Delicious." He said unhelpfully.
    "Food on a stick." Madeline supplied after a second.

--