Author Topic: The House of Dawnbreaker  (Read 89594 times)

Offline Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:47 PM
"Oh. I've seen that before!" Karl blurted, perhaps more abruptly than intended, and he noticed it, "Sorry, it's just so much fun talking to people who aren't family."

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
  • The Glorious Brain of the Operation
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 03:59 PM
    "Mm." Madeline mumbled noncommittally and tipped her head back against the seat, closing her eyes.

« Last Edit: Aug 13 2015, 04:36 PM by Aeliss Novak »

--
Milestones are important, because they remind us that no matter how far we've come, we will never convert to the metric system!

Offline Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 04:16 PM
At some point, Borke took the tickets and one hobo's trip ended prematurely. The train finally arrived at the Nulsa station, almost an hour and a half late. Karl hung close to his latest acquaintances as they exited the train.

The first thing he noticed was the overwatch, which he couldn't pull his eyes off for minutes on end. It was the tallest man-made architecture he'd ever seen, by far.

"Whoa..."

« Last Edit: Aug 13 2015, 04:24 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 05:20 PM
    Madeline crossed her arms and surveyed the area, looking mildly bored. "I thought there were supposed to be flying turtles here?"
    Finnegan didn't answer.
    "Finn?" Madeline turned around to see her friend crouching behind her, hand flat to the ground, letting a large green beetle crawl onto his fingers.
    "You're blocking the path." She said drily a second before some middle-aged lady tripped over him and went sprawling into the dirt. Finn stood, ignoring the squawked protests from the lady behind him.
    She sighed, uncrossed her arms and walked over to him, also ignoring the lady on the ground.
    "It's beautiful," He said, holding the bug out for her to see. "Check out the head...thingy."
    "Uh-huh. You're still blocking the path."
    "Right." He stuffed the beetle into a pocket and looked down at the woman in the dirt with a distracted frown. "Let's get going then."

--
Milestones are important, because they remind us that no matter how far we've come, we will never convert to the metric system!

Offline MercyBug

• Redshirt
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 05:25 PM
Eponine left the station and stopped to stare at her surroundings. She had never seen this many people in one place before. She grinned at her friend Ada before pulling out the directions that her father had drawn for them.

Offline Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 05:29 PM
Karl's gaze had turned upward, toward the distant house on the mountain. As a result, he basically missed the antics going on behind him as he gazed at the building. Finally he managed to pull his eyes away, dismissing the surrealness of it on the fact that he was seeing many things he'd never seen before for the first time.

"What? Oh... they're leaving?" he seemed to ask thin air, before noticing Madeline and Finnegan begin to move.

He quickly caught up with them, however.

"Where are you going first?" he asked in a curious tone.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 05:32 PM
    "This way." Finnegan answered as Madeline shrugged.
    "We tend to not make plans."
    Finnegan looked up at the sky and gave it a nostalgic smile. "They never go well."

--

Offline Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 05:41 PM
"Oh... Um... I'd love to tag along."

As he was speaking, he noticed a restaurant called the "Oversight Cafe" across the street from them.

"But... I am rather hungry. I uh... I don't have much money, but I might be able to buy you guys a drink. A uh... thank you for being so nice to us." Karl stated.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
  • Plausibly Deniable Assassin of the Operation
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 06:22 PM
Standing next to Eponine outside the station was Ada, who had been silent the whole train ride. She was a 5'6" human, with blonde and blue hair. After watching Madeline, Finnegan, and Karl for a while, she ran up to them and began to chatter.

"I've been watching you guys for a while!" She began excitedly, "I figure you guys are new here, considering how much you guys are looking around. Eponine and I are new here too! There are so many people, I just love it! Don't you? It's so exciting!"

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 06:31 PM
    Finnegan turned to look at the newcomers and grinned. "Look, Princess, we've got stalkers!" He stated gleefully.

--

Offline Garyn Dakari

• Overlord
  • Dedicated Role Player
  • Garyn of Dakari
    • Garyn_Dakari
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 06:32 PM
    "Shit, I've been had..." The man in the black cloak turned around and departed the area at a brisk pace.

Offline Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 06:35 PM
"Hey, I'm not the only one!" Karl laughed.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 06:40 PM
"So who are you guys?" Ada quickly asked, not paying attention to whatever was going on, "Where are you from? Are you guys married? That is so cool! I like machines, do you like machines? It will take me so long to talk to everyone! This is so fun!"

Offline Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 06:47 PM
Karl pulled out his money pouch and counted some coins off. Not really pleased with what he found, he pulled it tight again and let it hang at his side once more.

"Well, how about it?" he asked Madeline and Finnegan, "Drinks? Maybe give the young ladies a chance to ask questions?"

Offline MercyBug

• Redshirt
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 06:55 PM
Eponine joined the others, "Hello, I'm Eponine."
She was a 6'4" human with dark reddish-brown hair, dark blue eyes and a friendly smile.
She held out her hand to Karl.

Offline Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 06:58 PM
Karl was happy to accept a handshake, still trying to recover from being denied by the jerk conductor.

"Hi. Karl Saxon. Nice to meet you both." he nodded to both the girls as he shook Eponine's hand.

Please remember he has rather cold hands.

« Last Edit: Aug 13 2015, 07:15 PM by Tyler294 »

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 07:05 PM
    "Sure," Finnegan said in response to the mention of drinks. "Maybe we can find some kebabs too..."

--

Offline Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 07:20 PM
"You wanna join us, then?" Karl asked Eponine and Ada.

Offline DeadJim

• Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 07:26 PM
"Of course! I love kebabs!" Ada screamed gleefully, "Whatever kebabs are... Oh yeah, nice to meet you!"

Ada reached out and grabbed Karl's other hand, shaking it energetically.

Offline MercyBug

• Redshirt
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 07:49 PM
"I would be my pleasure to join you." Eponine replied as she offered her hand to Finnegan.

Offline Aeliss Novak

• Doughnut
  • Global Moderator
  • Role Player
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 07:57 PM
    Finnegan took it, kissed it, dropped it, turned on his heel and headed towards the restaurant all in the space of about two seconds. Madeline followed just behind.

--

Offline Tyler294

• Epic Role Player
  • The Default User
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 08:01 PM
Once Ada had released Karl, he led them toward the cafe across the street (presuming they didn't stand around handshaking all day). Once inside, he glanced around for a table capable of seating five, of which there were several round tables in the middle of the dimly-lit building.

Offline InyriHalon

• Redshirt
  • The only bright spark in an otherwise dismal world
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 08:07 PM
A woman sat at the end of the room, a worn yet well-polished fiddle dancing in her hands as she sang a cheerful, filthy melody. She was tall with hair the color of burnished copper and wore a wide swath of mix-matched scarves about her neck, a teal blouse, and a long skirt that appeared to be made out of more mix-matched scarves sewn haphazardly together. The cafe's clientele tapped their toes in time to the music, laughing at the ribald lyrics.

--
Not all who wander are lost...but some of them are.

Offline Garyn Dakari

• Overlord
  • Dedicated Role Player
  • Garyn of Dakari
    • Garyn_Dakari
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 08:09 PM
    Sitting alone at a table that could easily fit six or seven was a young man with short jet black hair and a matching(In color anyway) leather jacket. He glanced at the group as they walked in, in a mostly indifferent, though perhaps somewhat curious way, before returning his attention to the weasel-like animal sitting on the edge of the table, and the singer at the other table.

Offline InyriHalon

• Redshirt
  • The only bright spark in an otherwise dismal world
The House of Dawnbreaker
Posted Aug 13 2015, 08:15 PM
 "And so the maid did run away
 Leaving the lad sadly unclad
 With nary a beer to calm his tears
 At the last light of day"

The troubadour took a swig of her own beer as the cafe exploded into cheers and guffaws. So easy to please. Places like this were her bread and butter; full of simple folk, oblivious to anything but their next pint and willing to sell their own mothers' for a couple of new verses to their favorite dirty song. 'Last Light of the Day' was an easy one to add to; she knew at least 74 verses from her travels and could improvise a few more in a pinch.

"All right, folks, that's it for awhile. It's been a long day and I'm perishin' hungry." Mirri gave the barista/bartender a meaningful look and within seconds a steaming bowl of soup and a dainty slice of bread clattered onto the table at her elbow. The soup's meat was an ominously yellow color, but she dug in anyway. It wasn't the weirdest thing she had ever eaten, not by a long shot. The flavor was equally peculiar, but not in a I'm-going-to-die-shitting-and-puking-at-the-same-time sort of way. At least, she hoped not. "So, while I rest my voice a spell and enjoy this fine meal, might any of ye happen to have a story to tell? I'm always looking for a new story to carry with me to far lands." That was more true than these people would ever know. "Mayhap something about that terrifyin' edifice at the top of the mountain."

The mansion towered over all of Nulsa, casting its shadow over the streets. It was a different style from the other buildings and looked very old. Not the precarious, about-to-crumble-down-on-our-heads kind of ancient, but more an old-as-the-mountain-it's-built-on sort of age. It looked like it had withstood hurricanes and would continue to do so without so much as rattling the windows. It looked like the beginning and end of a thousand stories, and that intrigued her to no end. Especially since a weird, uncooperative part of her mind did not want to look at it too closely, which just made the rest of her want to stare at it more.

"Ah, well," an old man creaked from the corner. "Strange things happen in that old place." He shrugged, as if that was all unimportant and unworthy of anyone's time or notice.

Mirri smiled at him winningly. "I love strange things. What manner of strange has the mansion got?”

The man harrumphed disapprovingly. “Weel, I’m sure I wouldn’t know. Never been in it myself. Obviously.”
“Obviously?”
“Weel, I’m here, aren’t I?” He said that as if it explained everything, and several others nodded to confirm his pronouncement.
“Oh, of course.” Mirri nodded wisely, more curious by the minute. Yes, she was sure to find an interesting story here.

« Last Edit: Aug 13 2015, 08:24 PM by InyriHalon »

--
Not all who wander are lost...but some of them are.